Desexing Contracts

weasel

I didnt say anything about a single register and you are right - it is up to the individuals.

If developing a breed into effectively two separate breeds is what people want, then fair enough.

As long as people recognise that that is what they are doing.

Not something that they have to do, but something they have decided they want to do.

Just gets up my nose I guess when people say you can't combine work and show. You most definitely CAN.

Whether people want to is a totally separate issue and the lack of will to do so should never be confused with the (non existent) lack of ability to do so.

Edited by espinay2

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think since the types have already diverged, you would have to be really committed and really keen in wanting to combine show and working ability. And from what I have seen, people are not really committed to doing this. The working people have no need, the dogs work well and do what they want them to do. Bringing in show lines would have no benefit to their breeding program. I haven't talked to any working people (and I am talking to a few since I am deciding where to source my next dog from) that wish that their dogs could be shown, so I don't see that there would be a push from there. I haven't talked to many show Kelpie people, but I don't get the impression that they are really keen or committed to trying to bring in working lines. Since they have diverged, and people are happy going their merry way about it, I don't think it will change.

I don't see the Kelpie division going anywhere soon. WKC Kelpies that are not ANKC registered (I only know of a few breeders that have dual registered Kelpies) cannot be ANKC registered, so show breeders can't really use working stock if they want to show their dogs. And working breeders are more interested in the working ability of the dog.

Breed registers have been opened before for the influx of new blood.

I agree with Kavik- nothing is going to change as there are far to many egos at play.

I do think its possible to have both- I have seen some absolutely amazing WKC kelpies that also have AMAZING conformation and some of that show ring zazzle!! Not sure if they would win but they do fit the ANKC standard to a T. I am not fussed about colour- I think there are less tan pointed dogs being shown simply because it is a recessive colour so unless there is lots floating around there is a good chance you have to give up other things to get the tan point. NB the WKC dogs that I have seen have been both solid and pointed dogs.

I will admit that I am using the show lines and will be focusing on producing flyball/general sports dogs that also fit the standard because good conformation means less injuries. This will probably mean I fall out of both camps and be all on my lonesome :laugh:.

I introduced a 'performance sweepstakes' to the Kelpie Club show- so far my boy has been the only one entered the past two shows because no other dog showing actually has a title (ok his mum has more than him but I forgot to enter her and she will be doing flyball at the next show) so unless there are some extra faces being shown he will go in alone again. Kinda disappointing since these breeders also tell puppy owners they can do dog sports when some DONT produce the right levels of drive. I personally have tried all my dogs on sheep and they have all had instinct but don't have the time to train them. I personally don't want any more herding instinct in my dogs than they already have because I am focusing on sports and so am more interested in their food/prey drive in forms that I can effectively utilise.

I personally would love to get my hands on some of the WKC lines but for the time being I am producing what I want from the ANKC lines. The only thing I can see the ANKC offering the WKC would be genetic diversity- which may be necessary at some point in the future.

Edited by Jumabaar