gone

I would get a urine sample checked just to make sure everything is normal. (including things like urine glucose levels)

If it is normal, then it is more likely behavioural and you can address it from that angle.

If the test picks up something you are then in a position to address it.

Edited by espinay2

There are all sorts of things that could make urine 'different' and perhaps more attractive including infection or imbalances in certain things in the urine as a result of internal issues or conditions. Sugar levels (which can be an indicator of things such as diabetes) are just one of the things to be tested for.

I am not saying your dog has any of these. But ruling out possible issues which may be causing your dog to be attracted to its own urine would be the first step to working out why your dog is doing it. As I said, if the tests are normal you know you can address the issue as a behavioural one rather than a medical one.

I always pay attention to what my dogs are telling me when they do things like this to themselves or to other dogs as their behaviour can often alert you to things before they become more obvious.

Edited by espinay2

My pup recently started sniffing her wee after she'd done it, and I just thought it was another weird quirk of hers. Turns out she had a UTI! The little tyke knew something wasn't right, if I'd paid more attention to her wee sniffing I could have caught it earlier.