Geelong Pound Goes 'no Kill'

westiemum

Hope this isn't old news... But ABC News 24 has just run a reasonably long story on the changes at the Geelong pound or Geelong Animal Welfare Service (GAWS). Essentially, new board headed up by an activist called Mike Bailey and new management and formal board adoption of a 'no kill' policy has seen euthanasia rates of healthy rehomable dogs plummet to under 3 percent. Not so spectacular success with the kitties but they are continuing to try and get the cat euth rate down as well.

When The RSPCA Vic was asked if they would follow Geelongs lead they said they don't like to make policy like that (or something similar) - she was very evasive. Graham Smith from the Lost Dogs Home would not comment - funny that!

Mike Bailey recognizes its early days and is cautious about being able to maintain such rates long term but it's certainly a promising start.

Did anyone else see it or know anything about it? They certainly deserve DOL praise if the story is accurate! :) :thumbsup:

ETA Link to ABC story Here

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great to hear, though it's not no kill but low kill.

Interestingly, there is an historical reason for the amount of feral cats around the Geelong area. In the 19th century, hundreds of domestic cats were released on the Chirnside's property at Lara. It was believed they would kill the rabbits.

That's great to hear, though it's not no kill but low kill.

Interestingly, there is an historical reason for the amount of feral cats around the Geelong area. In the 19th century, hundreds of domestic cats were released on the Chirnside's property at Lara. It was believed they would kill the rabbits.

Yep quite right Sheridan - although I think they were talking about 'no kill' during the programme - but low kill is much more accurate.

At least this appears to be a good sttart - Bailey was saying that they hope to become a bench mark for other pounds who still use 'tradionall' 'waste management' approaches.

Although, notably, SADS has been no kill for years so Geelong is not a first at all.

Mnm yep - but I think that they were making was that they are the third largest pound in the country and the first of he really big traditional pounds to try a 'new' approach, particularly with strong community support..

Edited by westiemum

I'd be surprised if it was, westiemum. Unless it's footy it takes a lot to get Geelong folk off their backsides.

:rofl: the programme seemed to imply there was some major community support behind the changes...

There was definitely a lot of community outrage when practices at GAWS were exposed a few months ago, which (combined with other factors, I'm sure) led the former board to quit. I'm sure it was followed up at least a little bit with community support for the new management?

GAWS has made a major turn around. It's not the dead little corner it used to be I can tell you that. The animals are being fostered, people keep visiting and they swap dogs with the RSPCA in order to get the breeds rehomed instead of sitting around.

That is if you can get through on the phone and the staff pull themselves away from their computer screens to be bothered talking with you.

There is a big enough problem with feral cats and diseases they carry in Geelong. All very well about a trap and release program but there is a lot of native and domestic animals being destroyed, and sick cats running about. Sometimes it's better for the cat.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/10/17/285711_news.html

The protest at Geelong town hall was pretty huge. It was around the time of the BSL march in Melbourne . They put our effort to shame really...Good on them.

My question would be how many of those protesters were actually people from the Geelong community.

There is a big enough problem with feral cats and diseases they carry in Geelong. All very well about a trap and release program but there is a lot of native and domestic animals being destroyed, and sick cats running about. Sometimes it's better for the cat.

Yes, indeed, see my original post.

Thanks huck house - I have now! Its a good start - and I thought Mike Bailey was impressive on ABC 24 the other night - which is why I started this thread. :)

Westiemum , have you seen the good for dogs website?

http://goodfordogs.org/blog/2012/02/17/geelong-animal-welfare-society/

I find MikeBaileys blog credible and can really relate to how he thinks . He truly cares about companion animals . I'm so glad dogs have advocates like him.

I'll stop just short of saying that he is my idol.!

http://thechinaman.mobi/