Geelong Pound Goes 'no Kill'

westiemum

The part i find odd is on the website they address all of the points about the no kill equation but not the trap neuter release part for cats

A part they really need

Animal Aid started FIV testing all their strays at impound some time ago and found an astounding amount were FIV positive, so I can see why they may not wish to do it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point SnT - I believe FIV is very contagious...

The part i find odd is on the website they address all of the points about the no kill equation but not the trap neuter release part for cats

A part they really need

Animal Aid started FIV testing all their strays at impound some time ago and found an astounding amount were FIV positive, so I can see why they may not wish to do it.

Good point SnT - I believe FIV is very contagious...

A part they really need

Yah it is...the incidence was actually higher than previously thought and I guess with totally feral cats you'd have to expect that rate to be the same or even higher.

We've desexed quite a lot of the 'secret cats' near us though, since the Pet Rescue poster came out we've had some of our good clients admit they have a cat they sort of own and bring it in. :thumbsup:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I understand TNR might not be possible but they dont even address it. They don't say its something we are working towards, something we find not practical for the area.

On his blog he brings it up so why not at GAWS?

I dislike the LDH and RSPCA too but if he is going to have a go at them then I feel he needs to be consistent.

Hopefully they release more stats soon, I have heard dogs are still going well, not so great with cats

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/10/17/285711_news.html

The protest at Geelong town hall was pretty huge. It was around the time of the BSL march in Melbourne . They put our effort to shame really...Good on them.

My question would be how many of those protesters were actually people from the Geelong community.

There is a big enough problem with feral cats and diseases they carry in Geelong. All very well about a trap and release program but there is a lot of native and domestic animals being destroyed, and sick cats running about. Sometimes it's better for the cat.

Yes, indeed, see my original post.

Have you been wronged by a Geelong resident or something? :confused:

Edited by Aussie3

The protest at Geelong town hall was pretty huge. It was around the time of the BSL march in Melbourne . They put our effort to shame really...Good on them.

My question would be how many of those protesters were actually people from the Geelong community.

There is a big enough problem with feral cats and diseases they carry in Geelong. All very well about a trap and release program but there is a lot of native and domestic animals being destroyed, and sick cats running about. Sometimes it's better for the cat.

How do you get that from my querying how many protesters were from Geelong and writing about a historical fact about feral cats?

The stats will move around and <3% PTS will probably not be achievable in the medium term.

The important thing is that there is a new, life preserving culture and this will give life to thinking of and executing on programs, practices, policies and procedures being put in place that will minimise the the PTS ratio..

This in turn will put pressure on other facilities around the country to adopt live preserving practices.

Well done GAWS.

The stats will move around and <3% PTS will probably not be achievable in the medium term.

The important thing is that there is a new, life preserving culture and this will give life to thinking of and executing on programs, practices, policies and procedures being put in place that will minimise the the PTS ratio..

This in turn will put pressure on other facilities around the country to adopt live preserving practices.

Well done GAWS.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: well said.

How do you get that from my querying how many protesters were from Geelong and writing about a historical fact about feral cats?

Your other post stated that only the footy would get Geelong residents off their butts or something to that effect, and then you were questioning whether any Geelong residents were at the protest, just seemed like you weren't a fan. No harm, innocent question :)

Edited by Aussie3

Your other post stated that only the footy would get Geelong residents off their butts or something to that effect, and then you were questioning whether any Geelong residents were at the protest, just seemed like you weren't a fan. No harm, innocent question

Most were Geelong residents

Your other post stated that only the footy would get Geelong residents off their butts or something to that effect, and then you were questioning whether any Geelong residents were at the protest, just seemed like you weren't a fan. No harm, innocent question :)

I'm from Geelong so #fail on your part there. Brilliant town but the residents aren't known for getting over excited.

Your other post stated that only the footy would get Geelong residents off their butts or something to that effect, and then you were questioning whether any Geelong residents were at the protest, just seemed like you weren't a fan. No harm, innocent question

Most were Geelong residents

I queried it because I wouldn't be surprised if people were bussed in from outside given the subject matter.

I'm from Geelong so #fail on your part there. Brilliant town but the residents aren't known for getting over excited.

:laugh: I asked a question, I got an answer so I'd say it's a win, but that's just me. It is a great town and a lot of it's residents may not be as apathetic as you think, of course I can only speak for the ones I know. I could be wrong.

Edited by Aussie3