Feed Amounts

Zitchdog

Just after some quick advice on how much to feed the puppy. He's 12 weeks, about 6kg now and target weight when he's an adult is around 18kg.

We have advance puppy growth wet and dry food at the moment (given pack by the breeder) and I'm a little confused by the feeding guides.

Firstly, they seem to base the guide on the target weight as an adult, whereas I would have thought it would be based on current weight!

For a 3 month old the dry food guide is 230g - 350g for a 15 - 20 kg body weight. This is over a day.

For a 3 month old with the 410g can wet food, adult weight 10-25kg the guide says 1-2 3/4. I assume this means between 1 and 2.75 cans per day? This seems like a huge amount.

On top of this, there is no guidance of how much to feed if you are using both, or even other food.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Nat

If you feed wet and dry, I believe you decrease the amounts of each. From memory (correct me if I'm wrong) the serving suggestions on dry will be dry only, some brands indicate how much should be reduced if feeding wet as well.

There is no way I would feed that much dry and that much wet together, especially those Advance cans, they are huge! When my pup was getting cans and kibble as a pup (now 22kg adult) she was getting 1/3 of a small can and about a cup and a half of dry spread over 2 meals.

The guides are guides only though, i've had to chop and change to figure out how much i need to keep my girl's weight stable, I don't even bother looking at the serving suggestins any more.

Ditch the cans when you;ve used it up and replace it with a large chicken wing for breakfast or two small ones and measure about about 1 cup of dry for dinner and see how his weight goes.

If you want to use up your cans, measure out about 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup of dry and put a heaped tablespoon of can on it.

Judge your pup by his body condition and forget about measuring based on his weight. You'll find as he's going through the big growth spurts that he will consume and need more food and you will be constantly adjusting the amounts from week to week and as you introduce new foods into the diet

Not on the ones I've got?

The ones I have are adult maybe that's the difference? :(

Maybe just take away some biscuits and substitute an amount you think is reasonable just to finish the cans off, or if you don't really want to use them donate them to dog rescue. I usually keep cans on hand for little fuss pot who won't eat her biscuits :laugh: and just mix it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk