Photographers

Vickie

Hi all,

We are hoping to have a number of photographers to cover the National Agility Trial NSW 2012.

To this effect, we would like to invite Expressions of Interest from photographers who wish to take and sell photographs at the event.

As the Nationals are a private event, The NSW Agility Committee has determined the following

The taking of Photographs will be permitted by any person.The taking AND SELLING of Photographs will ONLY be permitted by those persons/companies who have notified the Committee via Expression of Interest and paid a fee for doing so.

We would like to offer 3 options:

• Non-Professional. Cost $20. Photos can be taken and sold and advertised by the photographer via announcements on Agility Lists/Forums
  • Semi-Professional. Cost $100. Photos can be taken and sold. Photographers cards/brochures will be distributed in competitor show bags. Website and details will be listed on the National Agility Trial NSW 2012 website and in the catalogue
  • Professional. Cost $450. Photos can be taken and sold. Photographers cards/brochures will be distributed in competitor show bags. Website and details will be listed on the National Agility Trial NSW 2012 website and in the catalogue.Photographers will have a stall allocated where they can set up a gazebo/stand inside the indoor arena to advertise, display proofs, print photos and take orders.

If you are interested in selling photographs taken at the Nationals, please PM me your email address and an Expression of Interest Form will be forwarded to you.

It is worth noting that the 2 indoor arenas will present challenges for some photographers/cameras/lenses due to reduced lighting.

Regards

NSW Agility Committee

1330721127[/url]' post='5747080']

:(

confused.gif Why the sad face Helen?

We are trying to avoid the issues that have occurred at previous nationals regarding official & non official photographers. We also have to pay the venue for any stalls set up.

I have received a number of emails already congratulating us on making everything transparent up front, obviously you dont feel the same way?

Edited by Vickie

I have helped at nationals here, it is very long days, eg 12 hours, being there to photograph, then editing the photos at night time, and then you might be asked to stay back late and take photos of winners, teams etc. Then there is time spent editing, uploading photos the the web after the event, then editing, printing and posting orders. The orders are not huge, so the charge for a professional will eat up a good percentage of profits, which are very small for what would amount to 1 week of working very long hours.

confused.gif But that is why we offered the 3 different pricing options.

The price of the professional option unavoidable. It is not money going into our pocket, it is a price we have to pay the venue for a stall holder.

Surely the $100 & $20 options are reasonable costs?

I agree, it is a lot of work taking photos & processing them and then filling orders. I guess at the end of it all, the better the photos, the more a photographer will sell. I certainly don't envisage you having any problems there.

Edited by Vickie

Maybe this will explain things a bit better. This is my calculations, and the reason why I would not be able to afford to go as a professional photographer:

Expenses: Time (5 tweleve hour days, plus 2 seven hour days after the event, at $28 per hour- yes a low wage) $2072

Fee for being there: $450

Insurance for 1 week $20

I have not included every other expenses, equipment, utilities, computer, storage, accommodation unless you are close to venue, etc etc

Total Expenses $2542

Expected sales (again being very generous, as only a certain number of people will purchase photos, and this is an experienced estimate, not a guess) $2000

Less tax (using 30% company rate, just to simply things for this example) $600

Total Earnings: $1400

Bottom line:

Earnings: $1400

Expenses: $2542

Loss of $1142

ETA: take back tax because it is a loss

total Loss = $542

Edited by helen

Sorry it works out like that Helen.

Sounds like its not worthwhile for you with or without the $450. Even if you chose the $20 option, or there was a nil cost, seems like it still would not be worth it for you.

Edited by Vickie

I gave an example of what actually happens, because I think the only reason they would have for charging would be beause they would think the photographers are making a lot of money, but that is not the reality at all. It is a labour of love doing agility photography, luckily I learnt that though helping out others.

Helen,

...because I think the only reason they would have for charging would be beause they would think the photographers are making a lot of money...

That is absolutely untrue. I can guarantee that the amount of money a photographer might make was not discussed, as I am on the committee.

I will just state once more why there are charges. After that, there seems no point continuing this discussion, other than to answer any further valid questions.

1. We are trying to be upfront and clear about who is allowed to take and sell photos. At at least 3 nationals that I know of, official photographers have been upset that other people were there taking, and later selling photos. This will not happen in 2012.

2. We are required to pay a fee to SIÈC for each smallholder/vendor we have, including photographers.

3. If we were, as you say unsympathetic to the cost, profit or time of a photographer, we would not be offering the option of paying a nominal fee of $20.

Edited by Vickie

Helen my interpretation of the whole thing is that Vickie is not asking for people to travel to the nationals to be a photographer and she is not requesting your services as a photographer.

There are plenty of people who will already be at the event who are experienced with agility photography, either as competitors or spectators, and many of them will be looking to take photos. By stating that there is a pre-cost involved these photographers know before they take and sell photos and it prevents anybody stepping on the toes of others.

With the number of photographers who will already be present and willing to photograph for a minimal cost, there will be no need to hire those photographers who would be looking to charge the organisers.

• 3 weeks later...