Painting Kennel Floors

WDO

Hi, Just wondering what the best paint / product there is for kennel floors.

Flooring is cement. Its a brushed surface.. i went this way so it wasnt slippery when wet.. Problem is, the dogs take a lot of dirt from their runs into the kennels.. Im now looking for either paint or another spray on product to put on the cement.

Anyone have any recommendations?

There are a few products, one is a heavy paint effect that can go onto garage floors, but this needs to go on new concrete that has been left for 2-3 weeks to draw the chemicals out of the concrete before painting. Is quite expensive and I havent yet tried this because doesnt recommend for older concrete.

Another product is like a spray on rubber, similar to what is on kids playgrounds, it is extremely expensive, but the manufacturers have advised that they are unsure how the dog's claws and urine would work.... This is a product I have seen on some of the playgrounds in the doggy day care as well as some of the upmarket horse stables. I did try some washable rubber (like for stables) on one pen, cost a bit, and then had one dog who dug at it and started to shred - gave this up as not worth the expense.

I have found the best alternative is a concrete paint from any of the paint stores - Clean the pen floor and repair any holes or cracks and then apply paint with a roller on a pole, quick and easy and definately the cheaper option. The best thing to repair any holes is from Bunnings (and probably other hardwares) is a repair kit for concrete water tanks, this can go on any concrete and seals even when the area is wet - really gives a good bond.

Initially I put down 3 coats of paint and then every two years I apply two coats as a top up - each time i re-coat it seems to come up better - obviously building up more But I run a boarding kennel so we probably have harder wear and tear. This keeps a reasonable surface and we use a blower to clean out the kennels and then just a pressure wash when needed - not tooo intense or it wears the paint off.