Testing For Breed Function

Kavik

I actually think most dogs have the instincts some just need shaping a little, ours have all readily done what was required, but dual purpose has always been to the top of our requirements.

I think it is sad that so many are happy to go along with the pretty show pony cannot work theory, but then dogs doing what they were bred for has been a fact of life all my life, and it has always been taken for granted.

Last year when one of our oldies had come to the time that we all dread, we went for our usual late afternoon stroll knowing it was to be his last. He was rising 15 and quite a grey old man, and his eye sight was going, but he got wind of some quail and how I wish I had my camera to record that last shaky point, and a gun to let him bring back that last bird. He was a Gr Ch in the ring and his collection of BIS sashes are near my desk, but those few moments are the most dear to me. I had his favourite ball in my pocket intending for him to have one last play but he found something better to do instead.

Maybe that depends on your requirements/what you define as working? Several years ago I instructed obedience ata club that also trained security and personal protection dogs. I often stayed back to watch the protection work after the obedience class, it was fascinating and I learned a lot. There were a LOT of people that showed up with their traditional guarding breeds from a variety of backgrounds, and certainly not all of them had the goods for protection work training. So no I do not think most dogs have the instinct, I have seen first hand that this is not the case. Also, with herding, while I have not done a whole lot with my dog, it was apparent from the first time he saw sheep that he had plenty of instinct, all the instructors commented on him, not surprising as he is WKC bred. I was amazed when I went at the number of dogs which had absolutely no interest in the sheep. I expected that some would be crazy and just want to chase them and maybe not have the desired instinct/control, thinking surely all dogs would want to chase, but I saw some BCs who were more interested in eating sheep poo than in the sheep.

Are you implying that only bite work and herding sheep qualify?

With the GSD - those (IPO, protection work, police work, herding) would be the relevant working tests yes? And with BCs and Kelpies herding would be yes? I am talking about my experiences with my own types of dogs. Gundogs obviously birdy stuff is the relevant work, if top show dogs are still able to do this then great :thumbsup: I didn't mean to sound like gundog work did not qualify, only that people like to assume their dog can do the work because it is a certain breed and certain breeds are supposed to be able to do it. It was most obvious to me with the protection work as people rocked up and really did assume their dog would be able to do it no problem - hey it is a GSD/Rotty/Dobe etc, and they were very surprised at times when their dog was not interested.

Edited by Kavik

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As my interest is working/field labradors, I try to prove their "worth" in various pursuits.

Duck hunting for example, last weekend.

Retrieving trialling.

Various Government and private bomb/drug sniffer programs.

When the tail gate goes down.......................