Newbie Question Re; Trialling.

Hi guys, I am finally starting to get things in order to begin trialling with my dog. I have been told I need to go to the Dogs ACT website and because a member. I have started my application form and come across a few hurdles and the office is closed for the day so am unable to give them a call :(. After I put in my dogs breed it asks "Discipline" now I have no idea what that question is in regards to, anyone able to shed some light on it? How do I let them know which registry my dog would go on? Is this something that would be asked after filling out this first form?

Then I come to the pricing list, unless I'm filling in the wrong form there is no form to put my credit card details into. Is this something I would get a call about after they recieve my registration form or get something in the mail to fill out?

Then I come to the part about actually entering a trial. How do I get an entry form? I looked under the events calender clicked on the trial I would like to enter but can't see any type of entry form? It opens a new link which shows me the time it starts, entry cost and who the judges will be.

Thanks guys :).

Which dog obedience club to you belong to?

If you are in a trialling class, you could ask your Instructor to give you a hand with this. You will need to become a member of Dogs ACT AND register your dog as an Associate (if he is not ANKC registered). Your dog must be desexed to be on the Associate Register.

The shops in each club sell entry forms but you can generally download a suitable template.

I attend Tuggeranong Obedience. The current instructor was going to email me forms and imformation before he went on holidays but looks like he didn't get a chance too. As I won't be able to attend training next week I would have to wait 2 weeks until I can go speak to an instructor which would mean I would then be filling everything in with a week before entrys close.

I attend Tuggeranong Obedience. The current instructor was going to email me forms and imformation before he went on holidays but looks like he didn't get a chance too. As I won't be able to attend training next week I would have to wait 2 weeks until I can go speak to an instructor which would mean I would then be filling everything in with a week before entrys close.

Give the office a call tomorrow re membership/Associate register for your dog. If you want to enter a trial in a few weeks, you'll need to move quickly on those.

If you get stuck for forms, PM me - I can email you a template or arrange to get you some blank ones.

If you don't have a copy of the Trialling Rules, I suggest you download and read them.

Thanks for putting this up, I was about to come on and ask the same questions!! Bosco has just been promoted to the Novice class at Obedience, so I wanted to get in early and fill in all my necessary forms so that when the time is right, I can start to enter. (I am probably WAY ahead of myself, but I am a little bit excited at the prospect of the so called 'trouble' dog actually competing :laugh: )

The forms I have printed off are the 'ACT New Member Application Form' and the 'Registration of an Associate Dog' form. I think these are the right ones, but will ask on Sunday because there are a few questions I am unsure of too.

Thank you!! :)

Edit for spelling and spacing malfunctions...

Edited by lokelani

I put together a page on my website hoping to be able to help people out who want to get started in trialing, as I know when I started it seemed all so foreign to me & I was too embarrassed to ask. Here is the link to the page So You Want to Start Trialing It's mainly to do with agility but I think a lot applies to Obedience as well & I think you use the same forms. :)

ETA....the 18 months minimum age mentioned only applies to agility.

Edited by sheena

Hi guys, I am finally starting to get things in order to begin trialling with my dog. I have been told I need to go to the Dogs ACT website and because a member. I have started my application form and come across a few hurdles and the office is closed for the day so am unable to give them a call :(. After I put in my dogs breed it asks "Discipline" now I have no idea what that question is in regards to, anyone able to shed some light on it? How do I let them know which registry my dog would go on? Is this something that would be asked after filling out this first form?

I can't help with the trialling question but I have completed the forms and had my dogs registered. I think discipline is what sport you want your dog to do - obedience/agility/flyball etc.

In terms of the registry, Elbie my Kelpie/Border Collie is on the associate register (for cross-breeds) and Hoover my WKC Kelpie is on the sporting register. There's a different registry for non-sporting purebreds, but I can't remember what it's called :)

It doesn't take too long - I put my forms in last year and got registered very quickly. I haven't trialled yet but I got them registered just in case :laugh: Good luck with the trialling!

Edited by koalathebear

Its tricky, but the guys at Dogs ACT office are generally very helpful, I've found. If you get stuck, please feel free to PM me as well, and I'll try and help you through the process. I found it very hard when I lived on the southside and trained at Tuggeranong, as I didn't really know any of the triallers!

Good luck!

Thanks for the advise and offers of help guys :). Forms were sent off today so just got to wait for them to be approved or whatever the process is then once I get a membership number I can register my dogs as an associate.

KtB; The guy I spoke to from Dogs ACT, informed me to what discipline was so I got that part all sorted :thumbsup:. Wish I had got my guy registered well in advance like you did, I had been meaning to do it for about half a year or so now and it just become a "I'll do it in a few days" kind of thing and well now look where thats got me, having to rush everything in hopes of entering a trial next month :o.

Cleo; I don't know how many of the guys at TDTC are involved in trialling but I've been lucky enough to get into the same classes with atleast 2 instructors who currently trial there dogs :).

Thanks for the advise and offers of help guys :). Forms were sent off today so just got to wait for them to be approved or whatever the process is then once I get a membership number I can register my dogs as an associate.

KtB; The guy I spoke to from Dogs ACT, informed me to what discipline was so I got that part all sorted :thumbsup:. Wish I had got my guy registered well in advance like you did, I had been meaning to do it for about half a year or so now and it just become a "I'll do it in a few days" kind of thing and well now look where thats got me, having to rush everything in hopes of entering a trial next month :o.

Cleo; I don't know how many of the guys at TDTC are involved in trialling but I've been lucky enough to get into the same classes with atleast 2 instructors who currently trial there dogs :).

Are you entering the Tuggeranong trials? I will be there with my girl competing in both obedience and rally. Come say hi - my dog has a white face - we're pretty recognisable :laugh:

Are you entering the Tuggeranong trials? I will be there with my girl competing in both obedience and rally. Come say hi - my dog has a white face - we're pretty recognisable :laugh:

If all goes to plan we hope to be doing the CCD on the 21st of April :thumbsup:. If I miss out then I will probably still pop down and see some trials so just might see you :).

If all goes to plan we hope to be doing the CCD on the 21st of April :thumbsup:. If I miss out then I will probably still pop down and see some trials so just might see you :).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: It's good to do your first trial on home grounds. Settles the nerves a bit :)

I'm not as organised as Wuffles, so I won't be trialling in Open for a while yet, but we are doing Rally O, so if you see a brindle and white corgi, feel free to come and say Hi to us as well! Wuffles and I are both trialling for the first time with our first 'obedience' dogs, as are a few of our friends, so we clearly remember starting out.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: It's good to do your first trial on home grounds. Settles the nerves a bit :)