Concert Photography

rubiton

Just wondering if anyone has done this with the DSLR on a regular basis?

Only concert I've taken the big camera to was the Clipsal 500 one last year and got a few photos that worked but it was only swapping around on the evening as it got darker and picking the moment the performers were fairly still.

Does anyone actually use flash and if so just the little one on the cmaera of a dedicated big one - Im thinking no flash or only the one on the camera for small pub/club type venue (Clipsal I had no flash too far away and the cameras will get images without these days).

And are the lights as good at pub/club venues as they are at something like the Clipsal as far as I can calculate from point and shoot settings the same setting I had for the Clipsal should work for a smaller venue (what I had and what the p&s camera had were basically the same expsure just very different settings).

A lot of the professional ones will rely on the actual concert lighting, as they do not want to overpower that with a flash that drowns out or takes over the light effects. Key is first of all a decent telephoto or zoom lens (like 200 or 400), and a camera that can perform at high ISO - like ISO 6400, 12800 etc I think a bigger problem though would be getting the camera in there, as these days if you go in with anything even remotely looking like you are taking a profssional shot, and you will be stopped, and pulling out an SLR with a big white lens is kind of a give away

Last year I managed to take in my D300s and the 50mm and the 105mm. I did get stopped at the door - he questioned it because it was quite obviously professional gear. I told him it was for personal use and he let me in (but told me not to get caught!). It was a smallish venue though, so I didn't have to worry about the distance to the stage as much. The guy who had the paid gig was right up the front and was shooting with something super wide 14-24 maybe? and using flash.

Here are a few shots:

5444024474_7144a64da8_z.jpg

5443421929_35d1f64b13_z.jpg

5444024972_f5bff9ce9e_z.jpg

5443422319_ac70e45d8a_z.jpg

5444025234_743fba7326_z.jpg

5444025526_e0b4586853_z.jpg

Just wondering as I have asked the contacts for the bands for permission so I can put a review on my site and photos for myself (review page stuff is my 'fun' photography not part of the horse photography business) and they seem to have said that I can take the camera to the upcoming concerts.

Huga - what settings did you have the camera on? ISO, F stop, shutter speed? When I took pics at the clipsal I was on about ISO 1600 aperture as low as that lens went (perhaps 5.6 or 5.0) and speed was around 125. For a smaller venue it would be a smaller black lens but light sensitivity is about the same as the big grey one. Also when I did the sums the point and shoot phots seem to match the clipsal settings even though teh p&S was for a pub type gig with lighting there.

Thanks - thats about the same. And when I think of the photos from 20 years ago with the little point and shoot film cameras that use to take quite a few good shots with a flash (that usually was of no effect) and on 1/125th even though it seems such a slow speed now.

I did find at the Clipsal the big 70-200mm did a great job with the low light but that might be a little too big for a small pub/club type venue with the usual plan as it was so long ago to get there early and get up near the stage (like we did all those years ago). SO the 24-105 should be plenty in theory. Just like the idea of being able to change settings wihtout looking with one finger rather than the planning it takes for the point and shoot (took 3/4 of the time to work out how to get consistently close the other night with the point and shoot). Thanks for confirming no flash - I was thinking best to just go with concert lights anyway no chance of blinding anyone then!

Since the bands I like to go see had they mega heyday 20 years back its unlikely theyd have any paid ones there nor would the newspaper go out of their way to send someone. BUt Im happy to try and get them as much coverage as I can while having fun actually being there.

Edited by rubiton

• 3 weeks later...

I will be shooting a relatively large international act next month and I'm super excited.

I actually contacted the band on Twitter and they responded with a 'yes' to a photopass. I think sometimes in life you just have to ask.

I will be shooting with my 17-50 2.8 and 35mm 1.8. I have shot bands at smaller venues before, but this will be my first time shooting at a larger venue with full lights etc. I will be shooting from in front of the crowd barrier.

My understanding for this band with be no flash. Thats fine by me though.

All I can is... wish me luck. I will be dodging croud surfing and a very full on band. Eek!! Very excited though as they are one of my favourite bands :)

Roxys mum - did they mention how long you could stay to take photos? Generally at the bigger shows the photographers get a few songs in front of the crowd barrier and then they have to leave at the big concerts (ent cent type) they are not allowed to stasy all performance.

Yes agree if you have a good reason to ask and do so they might just give permission and these days with everyone and their dog having a smartphone or I phone its only a few acts such as Bryan adams who seem to havde issues with photos as taken en masse there is no market for them beyond review etc. And really when the bands get their own photographer on tour the shots are amazing (Bon Jovi) even compared to what fans with good cameras can get.

Rubiton - I am actually super lucky and will be at the gig for the entire show. I have full venue access :) Beyond excited about it actually.

Your right though, it's usually a case of a couple of songs only and then your outta there!!

I'll also be there pre-show set up and post show too.... hoping to get some amazing shots from it!!

The thing that has me bummed at the moment is my laptop is fried :( Which means I can't edit photo's until it's back from the PC doctor and I get Lightroom back on it etc... grr nothings easy I swear lol!!

Was fantastic on Saturday to be able to use the 'big' camera for concert photos - link to the report below. Was very dark settings were 1600 iso usually 4.5 aperture and between 1/125th and 1/160th shutter speed.

http://www.barnesphotography.com.au/pseudoecho/index.htm

I did look for laser type types but they pretty much had only the small spotlights and the ones you can see now and again in the pictures.