Pet Cremation In Canberra?

koalathebear

When we gave my old man stafford his wings in October last year, our lovely vet organised the whole thing...

We said our goodbyes, had lots of cuddles, he went to sleep and we left... Hamish contacted the cremation service and they collected him and bought him back in a lovely green pottery urn with a tag and his name on it.. Our vet called us, we paid the vet and he paid them...

I think they used pets at peace..but honestly I was so grateful that Hamish organised it all for me...

When we gave my old man stafford his wings in October last year, our lovely vet organised the whole thing...

We said our goodbyes, had lots of cuddles, he went to sleep and we left... Hamish contacted the cremation service and they collected him and bought him back in a lovely green pottery urn with a tag and his name on it.. Our vet called us, we paid the vet and he paid them...

I think they used pets at peace..but honestly I was so grateful that Hamish organised it all for me...

Sounds exactly the same as my experience, even down to the green urn. Not Hamish tho', another clinic.

I know Pets at Peace here in Canberra use a crematoriam near Mittagong, I don't know of any pet crematoriams in Canberra, does anyone else?. Depending on the demand all my pets have taken at least 10 days to come back, I would like to know of the service where they come back the next day.

Maree

CPR

I can drive to Mittagong in two hours. I can drive back in two hours. Given that pound dogs are landfill, there must be an awful lot of other dogs dying and being cremated for it to take a week to ten days (it just gets longer that time).

I know Pets at Peace here in Canberra use a crematoriam near Mittagong, I don't know of any pet crematoriams in Canberra, does anyone else?.

Maree

CPR

About 20 years a go there was an old bloke out on the Federal Highway who did it on the premises. I'm pretty sure he would be long-gone now though, unless someone else took over. He also had a pet cemetery there.

I know Pets at Peace here in Canberra use a crematoriam near Mittagong, I don't know of any pet crematoriams in Canberra, does anyone else?. Depending on the demand all my pets have taken at least 10 days to come back, I would like to know of the service where they come back the next day.

Maree

CPR

Yep there is a new one just opened up... Can't recall the name of it but it only opened around Xmas time from memory. I was talking to someone who worked on the furnaces...

That's a good point Sheridan. Always do your homework when deciding where to have your pet cremated because many Pet Cremation Services do not own the crematorium and you can not gurantee you get your pets ashes back even though they say they are. That's why we recommend owner operators like Paw Bearers in ACT, Bamganie in Geelong Victoria, Eternal Pets West Burleigh, QLD. These are just a few of the very relaible and honest crematoriums who will do the right thing by you and your pet. There are many wonderful crematoriums but you need to research the facts and ask questions.

My business, Furry Souls, has been going for 12 months now and I have learnt a great deal about what goes on behind the scenes. I have a dog who is almost 16 years old and I am so grateful I know what to do when his time comes. He will go to Bamganie and I will be there waiting in the lovely cottage they have for the grieving pet owners. I also work with a celebrant who offers the only same day service in Melbourne and she will manage the whole process for me and send him off with a prayer. Her business in Paws and Reflect and she is truly beautiful with animals and returns your pets ashes on the same day.

If anyone needs help deciding what to do, please don't hesitate to call me or email. I only supply the urn but I deal with Crematoriums and Vets Australia wide and I can point you in the right direction.

How do you know if you're getting your dog back if it's used for other things?

That's always been my worry, too - when your dog goes off for cremation, can you be absolutely sure you're getting back the ashes of your actual dog :(

Bamganie is the Lethbridge one? I can't remember the name off the top of my head. There is a cottage where people can wait. The lady there was lovely and the man who picked up my dog was very gentle.

I think the issue for me is, aside from the length of time stated, is that various people in the thread have said they won't use one or the other of the pet cremation services in Canberra but won't say why. If people have had an issue with Pets at Peace or with Paw Bearers, then please say what that issue was.

Bamganie is the Lethbridge one? I can't remember the name off the top of my head. There is a cottage where people can wait. The lady there was lovely and the man who picked up my dog was very gentle.

I think the issue for me is, aside from the length of time stated, is that various people in the thread have said they won't use one or the other of the pet cremation services in Canberra but won't say why. If people have had an issue with Pets at Peace or with Paw Bearers, then please say what that issue was.

Yes Bamganie is the Lethbridge one. The main reason it can take up to 14 days to wait for the ashes to be returned is when your pet is left with the Vet. The crematoriums do 1 pick up per week from the Vet and then return around a week later. They have a large area to cover and simply cannot do daily collections. It can be done in a shorter time if you manage the process yourself and deal directly with the crematorium. To be honest most people are so over come with grief that they really don't mind or think about the time and it's just something they accept. I personally want to be with my dog Morgan and have him back the same day.

Before I used this service I went and toured it and know exactly the process. They do all the pets on a certain day and in this case they are done in bulk lots but the tray is divided into separate compartments so the remains are definitely those of your pet. You do have the option of bringing your pet on the day and they have a viewing area

Before I used this service I went and toured it and know exactly the process. They do all the pets on a certain day and in this case they are done in bulk lots but the tray is divided into separate compartments so the remains are definitely those of your pet. You do have the option of bringing your pet on the day and they have a viewing area

Well done and that's a great way of confirming who are the real deal.

I know Pets at Peace here in Canberra use a crematoriam near Mittagong, I don't know of any pet crematoriams in Canberra, does anyone else?.

Maree

CPR

About 20 years a go there was an old bloke out on the Federal Highway who did it on the premises. I'm pretty sure he would be long-gone now though, unless someone else took over. He also had a pet cemetery there.

I know who you mean Curlybert, their name escapes me at the moment, but they bred dogs & also ran the boarding kennels, which are still there. I don't ever remember them cremating pets, thought it was just a pet cemetery - used to know a guy with a backhoe who had the contract to do the burials.

I have used Pets at Peace in Canberra multiple times now over quite a few years and have been very happy with the service and care they offered every time.

As for knowing whether it was my dog I was getting back? Unless you actually watch the process yourself, you have to trust them.

I do know though that my extra big girl Milou came back in a bigger and heavier urn than all my others - which is exactly what I would expect her to (I think they had to go out and get it especially for her :laugh: )

I know who you mean Curlybert, their name escapes me at the moment, but they bred dogs & also ran the boarding kennels, which are still there. I don't ever remember them cremating pets, thought it was just a pet cemetery - used to know a guy with a backhoe who had the contract to do the burials.

I took my old Golden there to be cremated in December 1993. (Already deceased, of course!) I was later given an urn containing ashes. I often wondered if they were actually hers. It didn't strike me as being a very professional operation on the cremation side of things - when I asked about it I was told they used a large wood oven on the premises. Maybe they no longer conduct that aspect of the business.