Weak Pasterns & Splayed Paws

Hi

I have a 4mth old puppy with weak pasterns and splayed paws. We first noticed this happening when she was about 10 weeks old and was told to give her calcium powder in her food. Since then we have been told to NOT give her this as this is making her bones grow too fast. We feed her puppy dry food for breakfast and dinner and some raw meat/chicken necks for lunch.

The breeder also had her dew claws removed when she was 6weeks old.

I have also been told that sometimes weak pasterns/splayed paws happen while puppies are teething but have never experienced this before.

Has anyone ever had this problem.

Edited by mrzeusman

What breed of puppy? Take her off all puppy food and put her on adult food. Add in some Vic C and a mutli vitamin. Yes it can happen when they are teething but incorrect feeding can also be a cause. My boy was the same around that age, fast growing large breed, I was already feeding adult dry but cut out the chicken and added the vitamins. He was also straight to start with and I was pretty confident he'd come back to straight anyway but took those couple of steps just to help make sure.

ETA my boys problems was more ease west then splayed feet but all the other would still apply

Edited by Rebanne

What breed of puppy? Take her off all puppy food and put her on adult food. Add in some Vic C and a mutli vitamin.

I did the same for mine and it worked. and Bioflavanoids help the Vitamin C absorb (you can buy a 2 in 1 tablet) and I fed the lowest protein food I could buy.....just for a few weeks. apparently it is also good to walk over uneven grouns, like at the beach, the rocky cliff part.....that strengthens them too....

Depending on your breed. We have Rottweilers and we NEVER add calcium powder to their food.

We feed a holistic dry food PLUS raw lean red meat with grated raw fruit & vegies plus raw egg complete with shell (which is natural calcium) Yogurt (again nat cal) crushed garlic (keep fleas and maybe ticks away) sardines in oil (small bones in sardines is another source of calcium) PLUS raw whole chicken necks & carcases (more calcium)

Your dog will absorb what his/her body requires naturally from these whole foods and disgard the rest.

We also feed all our dogs at their chest height from about 3 months of age so they are not putting undue weight on their front legs / pasterns.

As Diesel's Mate says... walking on uneven surfaces or pea gravel for 10 to 30 mins (build up slowly) a day should help strengthen your puppy's pasterns and his/her splayed toes. Then once they are nice and strong make sure you allow him/her on grass, gravel, sand and other different surfaces regularly.

Good luck :D

• 2 weeks later...