Scent Retrieval Training..

paddles

Hmmmm, trying to think how to say this... you know when you see the trainer drop a pile of objects on the floor, and the dog only picks up the ones that have a certain scent on them.. ie the trainers, or in more advanced cases another persons scent...? ok, with me so far? (doing better than me then) now I have read about the basics of training this behaviour, but would like to know, what can be used for training this? suggestions? ie thick dowel? I guess it woudl have to be something that can have the scent washed off??? anyone who can point me in the directions of any articles/you tube clips about this appreciated...

thank you.

Hmmmm, trying to think how to say this... you know when you see the trainer drop a pile of objects on the floor, and the dog only picks up the ones that have a certain scent on them.. ie the trainers, or in more advanced cases another persons scent...? ok, with me so far? (doing better than me then) now I have read about the basics of training this behaviour, but would like to know, what can be used for training this? suggestions? ie thick dowel? I guess it woudl have to be something that can have the scent washed off??? anyone who can point me in the directions of any articles/you tube clips about this appreciated...

thank you.

In formal obedience competitions (UD - Utility Dog) we use metal, wood and leather articles (5 of each article) and the dog is taught to bring back the one with the handlers scent. In UDX we use face washes which have been rolled and the steward puts down 8 clothes with their scent on them and the judge handles 2 cloths and puts one in the pack and gives one to the handler for the dog to scent and the dog needs to bring back the judges scent. We also do a seekback with decoy where one of the UD articles has our scent on it and the other has another persons scent and the dog needs to find ours....... Clear as mud??? Check out the dog scout website for teaching scent thumbsup1.gif

thank you.

In formal obedience competitions (UD - Utility Dog) we use metal, wood and leather articles (5 of each article) and the dog is taught to bring back the one with the handlers scent. In UDX we use face washes which have been rolled and the steward puts down 8 clothes with their scent on them and the judge handles 2 cloths and puts one in the pack and gives one to the handler for the dog to scent and the dog needs to bring back the judges scent. We also do a seekback with decoy where one of the UD articles has our scent on it and the other has another persons scent and the dog needs to find ours....... Clear as mud??? Check out the dog scout website for teaching scent thumbsup1.gif

Thanks Ptolomy.... will check out the website... so once the facewashers have gone through teh wash, they should be relatively scent free? (is that dog scouts of america?)

Edited by paddles

Sorry I was being lazy eek1.gif Here's the link http://dogscouts.org/Dog_Activ-_Scent_Discrim.html A lot of the obedience people use this method for teaching scent discrimination thumbsup1.gif We usually have multiple sets of scent articles and with my experienced kids I can use the articles every day without causing a problem. When I begin teaching the exercise I tend to keep using the same article over and over so it is really really heavily scented.

The wash cloths - I have probably 10 sets (10 cloths in each set) and I just keep rotating them and nope they have never been washed or unrolled eek1.gif Remember if you wash them you then have to roll them up again so they will all have your scent on them and I don't want this, also we all tend to use washing powder which is heavily scented which again I don't want to make it hard for the dog.

Sorry I was being lazy eek1.gif Here's the link http://dogscouts.org/Dog_Activ-_Scent_Discrim.html A lot of the obedience people use this method for teaching scent discrimination thumbsup1.gif We usually have multiple sets of scent articles and with my experienced kids I can use the articles every day without causing a problem. When I begin teaching the exercise I tend to keep using the same article over and over so it is really really heavily scented.

The wash cloths - I have probably 10 sets (10 cloths in each set) and I just keep rotating them and nope they have never been washed or unrolled eek1.gif Remember if you wash them you then have to roll them up again so they will all have your scent on them and I don't want this, also we all tend to use washing powder which is heavily scented which again I don't want to make it hard for the dog.

Just had a go... he grabbed my hand with his paws and forced the washcloth into my hand... (lol) then next round said, oh well if you don't want it I'll go shred it... gotta love those dogs