Toilet Training, Stop Him From A Particular Place

balkcalb

When my pup first came home he resided in a crate in my room of a night which had a plastic tray on one half with newspaper and his bedding on the other side. During the day he was confined to my enclosed porch.

By the age of apx 6 months he ceased toileting in his crate and during the day he had full access to my backyard but the porch door was always left open so he and my older dog could get there in case of rain and it is there that he chooses to toilet. The door is always open, he has a half acre yard to poo in but still goes up on the porch, he is now over 8mo.

I can't close the door because they need access to the porch when I am not home in case the weather turns bad.

Both dogs are inside a lot, he never goes in the house. The older dog is 11 and I know it isn't her doing it on the porch.

How do I stop him from going there? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

My guess is that since when he was a puppy he toileted on the porch during the day, he has developed a preference for going there and that has continued to this day (they develop substrate preference for toileting when they are pups). Not sure what to suggest to change his preference for where he goes to the toilet though.

he learnt his toilet spot very well :) you taught him where to go ...

If there is no rain forecast , esp if you are home.. leave the porch closed. Put some sort of bed out for him ... Any time you see him toilet outside, lots of praise ...he just has to relearn..... does he toilet when you take him for walks?

if 'yes' then every time he starts, use a word ..."toilet", or "Quick", or whatever, and say it calmly and quietly while he's doing what he has to ..then praise him. Do this every time...then say it as you think he's about to toilet ....etc etc.

You will eventually be able to encourage him in teh yard ...or anywhere :)

Yes I made a rod for my own back. He couldn't negotiate the steps to outside from the porch till he was apx 6mo and I couldn't carry him up and down to the grass, so when he was inside I would put him on the porch to do his business.

I will try to dedicate time to retrain, thanks for your advise, much appreciated.