Agility Start Line Procedure

And we finished in 22 seconds out of 33 allowed, and got second place, beaten by a labradoodle.

Well done. You should have a little boast about that.

And this was where I'd let go of her but hadn't moved so when I went to put her back - the judge was yelling at me.

More than likely, the judge was not "yelling at you" because they we reprimanding you, but rather that they were desperately trying to stop a "newbie trialler" disqualifying themselves because they do not know the rules. It happens quite often. I have been accused of yelling at somewhen, when I was merely calling out to them to prevent them being disqualilfied because they were about to walk in the ring with extra "fixtures" on their collar. The intention was well meaning, but I apparently upset them, and their first ever run in agility was a very unpleasant experience. I do not think she has forgiven me yet, and it was years ago.

As to your weave pole issue, you can simulate weave pole bases by getting some cloth tape, about the same width of the weave pole bases, and run it along the ground. Then place your "stick in the ground" weave poles through the tape, or next to the tape. If you are really clever with a sewing machine, you get the piece of cloth tape and put button holes along it at 60cm intervals, then you lay out the tape and it is easy to get the poles at just the right distance apart, every time.

Cheers,

Edited by canine fun sports

The little boast would be - We were one of very few dogs to go clear jumping novice at the mock trial and the labradoodle that beat me at the previous trial - botched it. Which made me feel a bit better. They could have been experimenting with a big lead out or something though.

There were a lot of tricky turns and traps in the mock trial course, and there are some advantages to having a velcro dog on a course like that....

I did put the brag about getting a qual in my first run for points in the brags thread - a week or so late but it's there... It was a weird night. I think 9:30pm is after my hound's bed time as far as doing competition runs go.

but rather that they were desperately trying to stop a "newbie trialler" disqualifying themselves because they do not know the rules

I know her rules (and the right questions to ask) now. I was thinking we were going to stuff up the weaves and contacts and those were all good. We stuffed up the start and the table. Go figure.

Sometimes telling the judge can help - eg if you have start line issues and will go back to your dog (and DQ yourself on purpose) just let the judge know that this may be the case if the dog moves, so they know that you know the procedure and that you will be DQ (if that makes sense :laugh: ) - that way they won't be desperately trying to stop you. I've found that most judges are understanding of stuff like that if you tell them.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend... most of the judges for novice at least - were into the "are you ready" - handler must say yes or no and be clear - then "you may go".

One judge said - she will say "you may go" when she reckons we're ready. But... if I tell my dog to wait and let go of the collar, and I look at the judge who says "you may go", and the dog nicks off but not past the first jump, I can go grab her and set her again. But if she nicks off through the jump or around it (refusal) we're started (being judged) and touching her again would be a DQ.

Fortunately in 8 starts this weekend - it didn't happen. One start - once I lead out and said "go" - was a definite "go sniff" and we didn't do a good job at all - pretty much random selection of obstacles after that. She eventually ran with me and did some of the things I indicated. Too hot and not the right "warm up" - I discovered a bit too late to fix that run.