Raw Fat Content

Hi all

I find my 2 kids a raw diet using a variety of fresh meats.

The main one I use being Coles 3 star beef or Aldi.

I note on the label Coles states the meat is 18% fat, which I never thought much about given that one the veggies are mixed in the total overall fat content of the meal would drop to around 14% or so.

My question is, what sort of fat and protein ratio is optimum?

more info would be useful .

what else is in the 'variety'?

do they only get raw beef and veg?

"Optimum" for what purpose?

maintaining weight

growing puppies

breeding

working

losing weight

diet for a dog with pancreatitis

old dog diet

cold weather diet

etc.

Edited by persephone

Yes optimum depends on purpose and the needs of an individual dog. I posted a link recently to a study on the nutritional requirements of exercising dogs which discusses fat levels in one context and concludes that sled dogs require a high fat (>50% of energy) diet ( with protein providing >30 or 40% of energy) while greyhounds require a moderately high fat diet (30 - 50% of energy) and moderate protein (24% of energy). This will definitely not be 'optimum' for all dogs though, particularly more sedentary ones!

If dogs are healthy, don't put on weight or loosing weight - it's ok. I don't feed my too often with mince, but if yes I buy the coles 3 star as well. There is a lot fat skin on chicken frames I buy too, meaty lamb bones are quite fatty, but my dog is active and stays in good shape :)