Plasma Transfusion

Mojopoodle

Information needed please.

I have a newborn Toy Poodle (24 hours old) who is not sucking & mum has no milk. The puppy was born by emergency caesarean yesterday. Puppy was very lethargic & floppy following birth. I tube fed the puppy with Impact Colostrum for 12 hours and she is now being fed Divetelac 2 hourly. The puppy is much stronger now, she seems like a normal puppy, squeaking etc when handled.

Should I consider a Plasma injection? I have just discussed with my vets and 2 vets have different opinions, one says would be worthwhile, the other says leave the puppy and don't stress her further.

I would really like to hear any other breeders experiences with this treatment, have any of you managed a situation like this?

Thank you in advance...

I have heard of it but didn't try it, i think the vet suggested it when i had a weak one. He was born Via C-sec and was failing to thrive, he wouldn't suckle for long and was limp and wanted to drift off, he just wasn't strong enough. Dehydrated i took him in and had him tube fed and given sub q fluids, i put him on mum and later did another lot of sub q fluids and he picked right up and suckled very strongly, he never looked back, my runt turned out to be the best in the litter after all that.

If she seems strong and wants to suckle and is not dehydrated, i would continue with her and only do the plasma if she goes downhill again.

JMO though.

Hi Hannah

Thank you for your reply, my puppy has not suckled from birth but is not losing weight since her initial loss post birth. I wish she would gain some weight though. I have decided to do the plasma by injection if she starts to lose weight or look weak at all. I don't want to cause such a tiny thing, only 95 grams, any unnecessary stress at this stage.

Janet

I have no idea but good luck. Having hand fed a few kittens & puppies one thing I try is not to be too phobic about the weigh bit. Sometimes a tiny gain doesn't show on scales, its hard to register 5 grams even the way they lie on the scale can alter it a fraction.

At the same weight for 30 hours I find I worry & then suddenly the next weigh in can show 10 grams more. A long as weight doesn't drop it can weigh the same for a day or so.

Of course you do have to weigh often though. Ceasarian makes puppy more dopey too.

95 grams is small but a viable weight for this breed, my last 2 pups were 100grams & mums milk came in on day 6. Natural birth too.

Fingers crossed all goes well for your little girl & look forward to some cute photos soon.

Thanks Christina

I will stop stressing over the weight gain, it may just start to happen.

Now I have another problem with the mum, she keeps picking the puppy up and making it scream, I am so scared she is going to hurt it. I want her to keep mothering it but not like this.

Any sugggestions anyone?

Thanks Christina

I will stop stressing over the weight gain, it may just start to happen.

Now I have another problem with the mum, she keeps picking the puppy up and making it scream, I am so scared she is going to hurt it. I want her to keep mothering it but not like this.

Any sugggestions anyone?

What is she actually trying to do with the puppy ?

Is she merely moving it to another spot, too hot, too cold etc

Is she trying to stop the puppy nursing off her & keeping it away from her teats

Is she trying to get the puppy out of her bed

She may be trying to make the puppy more comfortable because she knows there is something wrong or she may be trying to get rid of it because she knows there is something wrong or it could just be her hormones playing up & making her act nuts.

Sit & watch carefully & try & figure it out but if she hurts the puppy you will have to keep it warm, toilet & feed it.

Hi Christina

I have moved her and the puppy into a portable crate and have them sitting next to me now (on the dining table next to the computer), she has not tried to move the puppy again, I think she wanted to be out of the bedroom and near me. She seems perfectly happy now. I can put the crate next to me in bed tonight as well. She loves the puppy and cleans her & worries when I take her out to feed so I don't think she wanted rid of her. Good news pup has gained a few grams today!

That's good news about the weight gain! Is she feeding from a bottle, or are you still having to tube feed?

I tried the bottle for around 6 feeds and the puppy would not suck and fought so hard against it I gave in and started tubing again. Now I am seeing some weight gain so I might stay with tubing for a bit longer. Puppy will swallow but hated the bottle.

What sort of bottle are you using. I have fed 90 gm pug pups with a premmie bottle and teat. i didn't believe they would feed from it but they did.

I am using a Pet Nurser bottle. She drank easily from it through the night but the good news is that she now weighs 105 grams! I ended up removing the mother as she grabbed the puppy again, I suspect puppy has a sore neck now but is drinking although not really sucking, & being tubed and is sleeping quietly, thank goodness.