Imac ... Do You Have One?

Hi there,

I'm seriously thinking of buying an iMac mostly for my photography and things as currently I edit on my iPad.

I'm torn between whether or not to get the solid state drive or not!

Does anyone here have an iMac with or without SSD and your thoughts?

They say that with SSD everything loads faster, photoshop etc. But I want to know how fast.... So fast it warrants the extra $600?

Happy for all input!

MnDM

Not sure about solid state drives on an iMac but have you considered a MacBook instead of a iMac? I have had mine nearly 12 months now and they are awesome, especially for photos editing etc. laptop is more portable, just putting it out there!!

Do you use Lightroom? Since using Lightroom I havent gone back to PS.

I'm pretty sure anything you can do on an iMac you can do on a MacBook, someone correct me if Im wrong. If you have been doing all your photo stuff on the iPad, prepare to be blown away with an iMac or MacBook. They are fantastic. There is no comparison between a iPad and a MacBook. Not trying to change your mind just giving you all the info you need, it's a lot of money to spend.

Yeah it is a lot of money! I have decided on the iMac, we have several laptops in this house that have not been touched since the iPad came on the scene!

Looking to buy tomorrow, but just wanting to be sure of specs!

I figured the iMac was pretty fast without the SSD. And have read it cuts like 5-30 seconds off loading times... Which I'm not sure I'd really notice. Hence my confusion over SSD.

:)

I'm not really up with the Solid state drive side of things, but I do think the sales guy saying yu need it for photo editing is a load of phooey, no doubt it would be awesome but I can't see why it would be better. Hope someone more savvy comes in here to explain. :laugh: once you start using Lightroom for editing (if that's what you decide to do) you won't look back it is fantastic, and super easy to use.

Im not that technical, I use a lot of the presets, and all the actions are sliders so really easy. I've never used layers and to be honest, I'm not a fan of PS but only cause I don't understand it. We touched on it at a photo course I done a few years ago but once I started using light room I never went back. I think the pros use LR in conjunction with PS

Guest Tess32

Does Lightroom have layers? And more complexity than just crop, resize, colour effects!

It doesn't have layers. In lightroom you can do virtual copies of image, and do non destructive editing. You can tell with my photos I do a lot of editing and most of that is in lightroom, I only use Photoshop to do cloning (easier in PS IMO though lightroom has it), finer editing stuff.

The power of lightroom is it's amazing organisational aspect. Workflow is SO much easier with lightroom.

Thanks Tess.

I'm looking for something for editing and possibly web stuff, logos and banner making too.

Well I picked up my shiney new iMac this morning! It is still in the box as we've been out at the whippet racing all afternoon!

Not sure when I'm going to get time before next weekend to set it all up!

Thanks heaps for the advice TLC and Tess32, it is all much appreciated!

MnDM

Oh I just posted in the other thread!

You have to have lightroom, it will come with iphoto already installed, I use that its ok, easy to upload pics to facey and also easy to export to photobucket for upload here and other places. There is so many good programs, and the best thing is you can just go to the apps store and buy them or source them elsewhere if you can.

Did you have a look at the other thread, I think there was a few posts in there about good programs. Maybe photographers can give you an idea of other programs to use. I tried aperture but didn't like it much. I just stick with LR mostly and iphoto for general import export basic editing etc.

Glad it wasn't just me! Tes do you have LR 4? I need to look at some tutorials to help me use some of the features but I never seem to get time!

M&Dm hows your Mac going? got it set up yet?