Barking

Just wondering if anyone can come up with a constructive solution here..?

I'm having some issues with my 7 month old Mali barking when in her dog run - not at nothing; every time she moves/plays/picks up a toy etc, the neighbours dogs are throwing themselves at our fence barking, growling and carrying on. Of course my dog responds with yapping back (and her bark is LOUD and bloody annoying!).

I need to put a stop to it quickly but short of either keeping her penned indoors or using a bark collar I'm not sure how? When I'm home I can give her a 'look' and put an end to it, but when I'm not there's not much I can do..

Some more info: The run is approx 1m from a solid 6ft steel fence and can't be easily moved (it's semi paved). The neighbours have a large shed running alongside the fence-line on their side. Last year they decided to cement the area between their shed and our dividing fence (fine with me as their dogs had been digging under it!) but they have now extended the shed roof so that it's only and inch or two from the fence - creating a permanent lean to type thing which their dogs now have easy access to.

I'd think that blocking their dogs access to that area (perhaps with a gate or door?) would help and I will suggest it to them, just don't think they will be bothered to do so and unfortunately I can't make them do anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or even suggestions I could make to the neighbours?

Thanks.

Is your fence mesh or something similar? Just wondering how the neighbours dogs can see what yours are up to?

I've had this problem, and I hung up some shade cloth so the dogs couldn't see each other and it seemed to work. Could you also leave a sprinkler on near the fence (so that it sprays onto the neighbours side too) occassionally so the dogs get put off hanging around there?

My dog used to fence run with the dog next door. Neighbour is stupid and doesn't do anything but yell at dog, but that's another story and he just shouldn't have a dog (numerous varied reasons for this!!).

But anyway back on track... Just last week I put up a puppy pen type fence about 15cm out from the fence (Kenzie would have a bit of a psycho and attack the fence when the other dog was running at it and barking), it's there a little precariously being held in place by pot plants, but since then we haven't had any psycho moments that I know of.

So, maybe if both you and your neighbour put up something that just created a little bit of a barrier on each side of the fence that might help? Another of my friends did this with just loose chicken wire along the fence, it was enough for her dogs to not feel the need to go at the fence.

I really don't know if it will work, but it seems to be having a bit of success in this house at the moment!!

Is your fence mesh or something similar? Just wondering how the neighbours dogs can see what yours are up to?

I've had this problem, and I hung up some shade cloth so the dogs couldn't see each other and it seemed to work. Could you also leave a sprinkler on near the fence (so that it sprays onto the neighbours side too) occassionally so the dogs get put off hanging around there?

Nope, the fence is solid 6ft steel fencing. The dogs are going off at the sound of my dogs movement in her run. Neither can see each other.

My dog used to fence run with the dog next door. Neighbour is stupid and doesn't do anything but yell at dog, but that's another story and he just shouldn't have a dog (numerous varied reasons for this!!).

But anyway back on track... Just last week I put up a puppy pen type fence about 15cm out from the fence (Kenzie would have a bit of a psycho and attack the fence when the other dog was running at it and barking), it's there a little precariously being held in place by pot plants, but since then we haven't had any psycho moments that I know of.

So, maybe if both you and your neighbour put up something that just created a little bit of a barrier on each side of the fence that might help? Another of my friends did this with just loose chicken wire along the fence, it was enough for her dogs to not feel the need to go at the fence.

I really don't know if it will work, but it seems to be having a bit of success in this house at the moment!!

Thanks PME. Yeah I'm planning on running some chicken wire along the fence on our side for when she's in the yard. But the main problem is when she's in the dog run (and I'm out) - which is already a metre away from the fence line.

I'll see if I can add a pic shortly... smile.gif

Another thought, maybe you could just try to do a bundle of desensitising training when you are home??? Again, no idea if this would work and also if it would transfer when you're not there, but maybe??!!

Yes. I'll be doing that too. smile.gif

I was hosing my own dogs for fence running (my solution when I was on crutches with a cast on my foot!) which solved the problem of my dogs barking- but it turned out I was wetting the dog on the other side which ended up with the neighbour being quite abusive. I didn't realise it was getting wet through the fence so stopped.

Since I stopped hosing I have managed to keep better control of my dogs (and built a second fence) but their little blighter now throws itself at the fence if hears any movement on my side! I am quite sure if I went back to dousing everyone near the fence (their side and mine) that once again the problem would be eliminated.

Perhaps you could try some desensitisation of the other dog by making noise (with your dog in the house) then using an aversive noise when it comes near the fence??

I was hosing my own dogs for fence running (my solution when I was on crutches with a cast on my foot!) which solved the problem of my dogs barking- but it turned out I was wetting the dog on the other side which ended up with the neighbour being quite abusive. I didn't realise it was getting wet through the fence so stopped.

Since I stopped hosing I have managed to keep better control of my dogs (and built a second fence) but their little blighter now throws itself at the fence if hears any movement on my side! I am quite sure if I went back to dousing everyone near the fence (their side and mine) that once again the problem would be eliminated.

Yep, that's pretty much my problem!

Perhaps you could try some desensitisation of the other dog by making noise (with your dog in the house) then using an aversive noise when it comes near the fence??

I'll have a think about this. There may be some way I can make it work. Don't really have time to 'train' the neighbours dogs if I don't absolutely have to though..

My next suggestion will be no means work in the short term... a hedge type plantation along the fence as a teeny weeny bit of a noise blocker!!! Who knows!!?

What happens if you leave a radio on or something like that? I wonder if the neighbours dogs would react to the noise of the radio (or whatever that is making some sort of non-consistent type noise)? Maybe you could use a strategy like this to mask any tiny sound your dog makes therefore their dogs don't bark and your dog doesn't respond. Just a thought, again no scientific basis as to whether it would work!!!

Pic of our current set up

Sigh- why is it the people that own loud dogs go to all the effort to keep their dogs contained and quiet who have irresponsible neighbours with quiet (little) dogs who make the big dogs bark!! My neighbour can be out the back when her dog does it and she makes no effort to move it away or reprimand it and her kids goad it on!! I don't want a noise complaint but its sucks that my dogs have to be locked in the house unless I can supervise them- well its really only one that needs supervising but its still a pain.

Its really impossible to fix easily without both sides doing something about the problem. I have neighbours with rotties and they are great- we both go out and tell the dogs off if they start fence running so the problem on that side is just about solved!!

oh good I am not the only who has a neighbors dog that throws/barking/attacking the side fence, :eek: yes I have tried everything but the pet electric fence, have tried to talk to my neighbor they wouldnt even give me the time of day, this went on daily for about 6 months, everybody in the court was getting :eek: :eek:

we ended up putting in a complaint, next thing we know they put the house up for sale & the dog is not there during the day

Pic of our current set up

Sigh- why is it the people that own loud dogs go to all the effort to keep their dogs contained and quiet who have irresponsible neighbours with quiet (little) dogs who make the big dogs bark!! My neighbour can be out the back when her dog does it and she makes no effort to move it away or reprimand it and her kids goad it on!! I don't want a noise complaint but its sucks that my dogs have to be locked in the house unless I can supervise them- well its really only one that needs supervising but its still a pain.

Its really impossible to fix easily without both sides doing something about the problem. I have neighbours with rotties and they are great- we both go out and tell the dogs off if they start fence running so the problem on that side is just about solved!!

Yes it's frustrating. And these dogs aren't small OR quiet. Unfortunately if/when my dog decides to bark back she is much MUCH louder! She'll only bark for a few minutes max, it's definitely not constant, but you can hear her from a block over. embarrass.gif

I'll speak to the neighbours but honestly don't think they'll do much about it. It would be easier to fix the problem from my side if I can. I don't care too much if their dogs bark, provided mine doesn't join in. Plus the neighbour on the other side of me is a cow and I've no doubt she will be screeching over the fence the second mine makes a sound which won't help.

My next suggestion will be no means work in the short term... a hedge type plantation along the fence as a teeny weeny bit of a noise blocker!!! Who knows!!?

What happens if you leave a radio on or something like that? I wonder if the neighbours dogs would react to the noise of the radio (or whatever that is making some sort of non-consistent type noise)? Maybe you could use a strategy like this to mask any tiny sound your dog makes therefore their dogs don't bark and your dog doesn't respond. Just a thought, again no scientific basis as to whether it would work!!!

They bark at me putting out the garbage and picking up the shit on a morning so a radio may send them bonkers LOL. A hedge would be a nice idea though. If nothing else it would look pretty. smile.gif

oh good I am not the only who has a neighbors dog that throws/barking/attacking the side fence, :eek: yes I have tried everything but the pet electric fence, have tried to talk to my neighbor they wouldnt even give me the time of day, this went on daily for about 6 months, everybody in the court was getting :eek: :eek:

we ended up putting in a complaint, next thing we know they put the house up for sale & the dog is not there during the day

Nope! These neighbours aren't going anywhere though. If only I could electrify the entire fence, but somehow I don't think that's legal laugh.gif

Has anyone tried one of those outdoor ultrasonic bark devices?

Do you mean the ones that emit a high pitched sound when the dogs bark? I'm curious, I wonder how easily they go off though? Plus I'm also not convinced that they wouldn't have the opposite effect and send every dog within range off the deep end... The noise would be aversive for sure but the dog may very well not connect it to it's own barking?

I had a problem like this with my dogs and our neighbours. Neighbours dogs would bark all day at the fence, at my dogs, at me, at anything.

I was going INSANE as my dogs get in trouble for barking and my neighbour was letting her two dogs bark for hours on end without a word.

These are not the type of neighbours you can go and have a chat to about their dogs barking either.

So I ask my vet and she recommended Skunk Shot Gel.

http://www.reptilez.co.nz/skunk-shot-gel-repellent/

Used a very small amount in spots along the bottom of the fence and on the ground and kept my dogs out of the back yard for a couple of days.

The smell is so bad to dogs they stay away. The dogs next door learnt very quickly and now don't come near the fence.

Best thing ever!

And now no barking dogs!!!

Wow I think I"m going to try that Gel. I to have the same problem. I have blocked my fence with shadecloth put pot plants up on the side of the fence but may get some chicken wire and that gel.

My neighbours decided to redo their garden and in doing that they put their dog run right up again my fence. Their dog just barks all day. Its a kelpie and is I guess quite bored. But now has got my dog into fence fighting occassionally which I don't like at all. She doesn't do it anywhere else. Drives me nuts though when I have her out the back so I haven't been putting her there. I too worry neighbours are going to think it's just my girl.

That spray sounds interesting...

We're putting in an internal barrier tomorrow and I've decided to also buy an electric bark collar. My dog is not entirely innocent either. Since she discovered how much fun this new barking game is she's also instigating iticon_smile_mad.gif. We a need fast and effective solution before it gets out of hand.

Currently looking at either the Dogtra Y300 or the Tri-tronics bark limiter G3. Read both positive and negative reviews on both though. Does anyone have any direct experience with either of these models?