Kennel Cough

So last week 2 of my dogs got out (gate was not shut properly) and where picked up by the pound. They were picked up late the day before Anzac day so had to spend 2 nights there :( :(

Last night one dog started coughing who went to the pound, today another 2 dogs coughing, one who was at the pound and another which seems to have caught it from them! So 3 out of my 4 adult dogs have it. :( So far it seems it is going to a pretty mild case with one dogs as she has had the sniffles and been sooky the last few days but only a very faint cough, another is only coughing when excited.

So it seems so far we should get through it with the adult dogs without too much pain. :crossfingers:

My concern however is the puppies.

Does anyone have a similar experience they could share?

Is it likely they puppies will catch it? If so, how is it managed? Also, they are going to their new homes in just over 1 week, What do I do if they do catch it?

I have been speaking to my vet and will again tomorrow, but I like to hear from people who have experience this first hand.

I have never had KC here when I have had pups but from what I have been told you have plenty to worry about with puppies.

Call the vet asap and I wouldn't be letting the pups go until all the dogs in your home are over it.

What a shame you didn't separate your escapees from the rest when they went back home - a lesson for all of us.

KC is one of my big fears when I have pups, I won't do any grooming for the first few weeks and when I start taking bookings again I tell them I have pups and make sure that they are aware I need to take extra care when I have other dogs come to my home, the first thing I ask especially this time of year is "have any of the dogs been coughing or exposed to KC".

A few weeks ago one of my grooming clients called me the day after I groomed her dog, he was coughing but not while he was here. He had KC and this was the only time I have been very thankful that I never had any other clients that week. So even though he brought KC in to my home/grooming shed none of my dogs got it - how lucky was I?

Good luck and let us know how you go with your puppies :crossfingers:

Edited by Andisa

You say pups are nearly 8 weeks old and caught it slightly?

I would keep them for an extra 7 days after the last puppy coughed, explain the situation to the new owners they should understand and be able to wait an extra week.

We give all our dogs BENADRYL ORIGINAL cough syrup (from any chemist) via a syringe down the throat.

Good luck

BB

My last litter got kennel cough which I have never had before. One was due to fly to his new home the next day and I had to ring them and cancel. I kept them a week after all coughing had stopped which took about 2 weeks. Didn't seem to overly affect the puppies, just a bit off colour but I did end up with 2 heart murmurs that were not there at the 8 week check

My last litter got kennel cough which I have never had before. One was due to fly to his new home the next day and I had to ring them and cancel. I kept them a week after all coughing had stopped which took about 2 weeks. Didn't seem to overly affect the puppies, just a bit off colour but I did end up with 2 heart murmurs that were not there at the 8 week check

What a shame you didn't separate your escapees from the rest when they went back home - a lesson for all of us.

You know I thought of is a few days after it happened. But by then it was already too late! I am cranky at myself for not thinking of this. At the time I was more concerned about the dogs that had been in the pound as it really was not a nice place.

Don't you love hindsight!!