Dna Testing Pups - Cost

Leema

What cost is it to DNA test puppies that are from a dual sire litter?

Through what company? Are most vets able/willing to do it? (Particularly, any vets in SA?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

What cost is it to DNA test puppies that are from a dual sire litter?

Through what company? Are most vets able/willing to do it? (Particularly, any vets in SA?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can go to www.asaplab.com.au and get their advice - they supply kits for you to take to your vet.

First thing though would be to check the regs re requirements in regard to DNA testing for dual sired litters to ensure that whatever testing you get done is accepted (no use doing them yourself if they require an 'acredited collector' to do the testing etc). From memory both sires must also be DNA tested.

Then it is a matter of choosing a company that fulfils these requirements. there are a number out there that do it and price does vary from what I have seen. Best Idea once you have established what needs to be done would be to contact a few and discuss procedure/costs with them.

(and note that the cheapest may not necessarily be the best option - got burned by that before as I have mentioned in previous threads on DNA testing)

Have just done our current litter with Gentec - all parents need to be dna profiled so if they are not done then get them done now. Then all puppies are swabbed and link to the parents to confirm parentage. Ours worked out to be $130 but that was inclusive of parentage and vWD - think the parentage test was $70 per puppy.

I find Gentec easy to work with, efficient and cost effective and they are recognised by the ANKC. Gentec have collectors who don't charge to take the samples - our litter was whelped in NZ and they even have reps there :) - too easy.

Just make sure you use a company who's results will be accepted by the ANKC - not all are and then you will have to retest with a recognised company to have results recognised and litter registered.