Diy Dog Proof Air Con Cage

Yorto

So after finding a piece of insulation from the air con hose from Jet who loves to chew everything I thought it was time to put a cage around the units. I also have a phone line running in behind the unit in the picture I had to put in a sleeve.

I phoned a few places and found they wanted to charge at least $150+ for basically the same. In doing 2 units I spent about $70 and still have some spare wire mesh to fix up an outdoor power outlet.

post-44680-0-76430400-1337247614_thumb.jpg

Awesome work Yorto.

We have identical units and the same problem, less the phone line.

Can you please tell me, what are the crimps or similar that you have joining each panel, how are these purchased and crimped please?

What guage is the mesh and is this a Bunnings purchase?

We are keen to copy your idea, if you don't mind :D

Awesome work Yorto.

Can you please tell me, what are the crimps or similar that you have joining each panel, how are these purchased and crimped please?

The crimps are J clips. I bought I think a pack of 100 for about $4-$5 at Bunnings and they sell the J clip pliers with about 20 J clips for $9.95. Because I like a good bargain I bought 2 sheets of the wire mesh from a local produce and rural fencing centre for $29 a sheet, each sheet 2400x1200, Bunnings is $44.90 for a sheet at 1800x1200.....

I didn't use j clip pliers, I just used a normal pair of pliers, it took me a few goes to get the hang of it but once the 2 bits of wire mesh have been folded in the clip it's just a matter of folding the shorter side of the clip in tighter and then the remainder of the clip around.

To mount the cage to the brick work I just bought 2 lengths of galvanised strapping 600m. It looks like this (http://www.ryanairco...sed.banding.jpg) All I did was cut them into individual sections with 2 holes and bent them over to make a u mount type bracket. I will take some pictures of them for you.

Edited by Yorto

Awesome work Yorto.

The crimps are J clips. I bought I think a pack of 100 for about $4-$5 at Bunnings and they sell the J clip pliers with about 20 J clips for $9.95. Because I like a good bargain I bought 2 sheets of the wire mesh from a local produce and rural fencing centre for $29 a sheet, each sheet 2400x1200, Bunnings is $44.90 for a sheet at 1800x1200.....

I didn't use j clip pliers, I just used a normal pair of pliers, it took me a few goes to get the hang of it but once the 2 bits of wire mesh have been folded in the clip it's just a matter of folding the shorter side of the clip in tighter and then the remainder of the clip around.

To mount the cage to the brick work I just bought 2 lengths of galvanised strapping 600m. It looks like this (http://www.ryanairco...sed.banding.jpg) All I did was cut them into individual sections with 2 holes and bent them over to make a u mount type bracket. I will take some pictures of them for you.

Thanks so much Yorto. :thanks: I will set OH to work this weekend :D

More photos would be terrific, thank you, much appreciated.