Teeth Cleaning

Hi,

I am a bit disturbed as I had Tonka's teeth cleaned about 8 months ago and have been giving him many more bones since to keep his teeth good. I give chicken winfs 3-4 times a week and he has dry food and chews.

I spent over $500 last time and I got a letter saying T was due for his free dentl check-up. Well, lo and behold the vet says they need cleaning and willl be easier this time as no extractions and just cleaning...so should be only around $250.

I honestly can't believe that I am going to have to get his teeth cleaned under anaesthetic up to twice a year and minimum of $500. Surely this isn't so. I think little dogs can have more teeth things than bigger dogs but...

Tonka is a papillon, will be 7 in August.

Please let me know what you think :(

Can you post a photo of Tonkas teeth showing the long canines and the back molars. You might need to take 2 photos.

My 2 boys and their mum, who is 13.5 yo all have excellent teeth. Feather and Kibahs are pretty good compared to most other dogs I think, but they do have a bit of tartar and I've recently started feeding them plaque off. Too soon to know if it's going to help but I have photos before I started feeding it and I'll take some more in a few weeks time so it should clearly show if there's been an improvement.

I had to take Tag to the vet the other day for something unrelated and he commented on Tags teeth saying they look like he's just had a dental. He never has, his teeth are kept clean purely by his diet.

8073065117_b1082dbf26_z.jpg

8 y/o teeth by kirislin, on Flickr

8073067169_fa05423b00_z.jpg

8 year olds teeth by kirislin, on Flickr

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic