Destructive Puppy

Our Beagle cross Hugo is about 7 months old now, and seems to be becoming increasingly destructive. I would be interested to know if this is a normal phase of puppy development and also...other than removing potential items from harms way, is there anything I can do to get the point across that his chewing should be limited to his toys (of which he has many!). Our other dog did like to chew things when she was younger, but only if she was left at home alone and generally they were things that were left on the floor. I'm home all day with Hugo so I know it's not a separation anxiety thing, I really think he just immensely enjoys tearing things to bits.

He used to be allowed to be in the living areas of the house, but that had to stop when it became apparent that it wasn't just items left on the floor that were attractive to him, but anything put up on a bench or table (not necessarily food), cupboard doors, any kind of electrical cable and furniture. He also takes great delight in "stealing" things - he'll snatch a item and run off with it and if left unchecked, tear it to pieces. Many many many times a day. He enjoys being chased and considers it a great game, but if I don't recover the item it's as good as gone.

After he tore apart a couch cushion when left alone for 5 minutes, I have had to resort to leaving him in the back yard during the day (where he is also destructive, just in less financially devastating ways)and crating him when he's inside, which is really not the life I had in mind for him ( although frankly, he seems as happy as a clam with the status quo).

Is there anything I can do to teach him to leave our things alone? Is it just a stage? I should mention that he is currently entire, but scheduled for desexing in the next few weeks and gets an hour long walk each day (surely that is enough!).

Our Beagle cross Hugo is about 7 months old now, and seems to be becoming increasingly destructive. I would be interested to know if this is a normal phase of puppy development and also...other than removing potential items from harms way, is there anything I can do to get the point across that his chewing should be limited to his toys (of which he has many!). Our other dog did like to chew things when she was younger, but only if she was left at home alone and generally they were things that were left on the floor. I'm home all day with Hugo so I know it's not a separation anxiety thing, I really think he just immensely enjoys tearing things to bits.

He used to be allowed to be in the living areas of the house, but that had to stop when it became apparent that it wasn't just items left on the floor that were attractive to him, but anything put up on a bench or table (not necessarily food), cupboard doors, any kind of electrical cable and furniture. He also takes great delight in "stealing" things - he'll snatch a item and run off with it and if left unchecked, tear it to pieces. Many many many times a day. He enjoys being chased and considers it a great game, but if I don't recover the item it's as good as gone.

After he tore apart a couch cushion when left alone for 5 minutes, I have had to resort to leaving him in the back yard during the day (where he is also destructive, just in less financially devastating ways)and crating him when he's inside, which is really not the life I had in mind for him ( although frankly, he seems as happy as a clam with the status quo).

Is there anything I can do to teach him to leave our things alone? Is it just a stage? I should mention that he is currently entire, but scheduled for desexing in the next few weeks and gets an hour long walk each day (surely that is enough!).

So give him (appropriate) things to tear to bits. Boxes are good - big ones like fridge and washing machine boxes rather than shoe boxes. Newspapers, old rags, a tree branch... Put him outside and let him go for it. Inside, confine or supervise.

If the dog is given an appropriate outlet for his destruction he'll be less likely (and probably too tired) to take it out on the things you don't want him to.

Also teach him a solid 'leave it' and 'out' command.

Agree with SK.

I must say one of the most hyperactive dogs I've ever come across was a Beagle x Cavalier and was nothing like the temperament of our Beagle! Remember also that walking exercises the body but not the brain - short training sessions and having the dog working for it's food can be very effective. My dogs don't eat out of bowls past about 10 weeks of age unless they are unwell. Dry food is in a puzzle toy or used as training treats. They love it when I leave the house - peace and quiet at last :laugh:

Ziggy is a one dog demolition crew... He was doing the same thing.

He is now given things that he allowed to chew up, like big boxes etc.

He also has a kong stuffed every couple of days and that keeps him busy for a while.

Bones make for good chew things and take ages to get through.

He also has a really big ball from petstock that he can only just get his mouth around but it is good because he can't rip it to pieces and it keeps him busy trying.

The other thing we did was teach him to come and to bring it... If we say bring it, he returns what he has in his mouth to us for a treat... This is how I get my shoes back... Because like yours, he loves a game of chase... I simply won't chase him for things that he is not supposed to have, it turns it into a game and it's not a game when he has something he is not supposed to have.

I agree with the others give him lots to do, Kongs, Bottles filled with goodies, boxes etc. also spend some time shaping or training him to use his little brain and help wear him out, plus exercise

ah loud clap and a growl when he goes for something he shouldnt and redirect his attention to something he can chew

best of luck, mine still destroyed things but they do get better

I agree with the others give him lots to do, Kongs, Bottles filled with goodies, boxes etc. also spend some time shaping or training him to use his little brain and help wear him out, plus exercise

ah loud clap and a growl when he goes for something he shouldnt and redirect his attention to something he can chew

best of luck, mine still destroyed things but they do get better

I agree. I make a loud noise to distract them from what they are doing. As far as I am aware it is a normal stage of puppyhood. Testing boundaries etc.

I always remove the thing they are not allowed to chew and give them something they are. A walk in the morning can also help ware them out too if you don't already to that :)

It seems to pass after a while. Bella still love to chew things though... mostly she steals rolls of toilet paper and picks holes in her blankets and beds :mad

I have lots of empty toilet rolls around my house (my puppy loves 'stealing' them) so I keep them for this reason. I also save coke bottles, I just remove the lids and the ring thingy around the top and he loves playing with these. My houe does look like I leave rubbish everywhere, I have the empty coke bottles, old loo rolls strategically placed around my house so if he grabs something he isnt meant to have I grab one of my 'toys' or a treat (also everywhere) and make a big game out of what I have. It seems to work, I havent had anything destroyed yet, touch wood.