How Important Is A Good Pair Of Scissors

I have been grooming my dogs for 3 years now and have not had a professional pair of scissors. I don't use normal elcheapo ones from the bargain shops but i buy ones for about $10 (which was designed for fabric cutting and the likes), i've used them since and they haven't gone blunt yet. I can't justify spending over $50 for a pair of good scissors but there must be good reasons why groomers get these and would like to find out from the groomers here the benefit of getting a better quality pair of scissors.

I'm going to the states soon and if it does make a difference on the cutting, I would like to get a pair. Which brand is recommended and what length should i get? Is there a pair under $50 that is relatively good?

Edited by giraffez

You really need to feel the scissor in your hand to know what will work for you and what won't. I like bent shanks and longer blades - other folk will want something els.

I have some very nice Heritage scissors from the USA but I think they'd be well above $50 these days. A good pair lasts, can be sharpened and genuinely makes scissoring less tiring on the hands. Maybe not so important for we pet groomers but the pros are scissoring for hours every day.

Guest Arcane

do yourself a favour and look at spending approx $50 - 100 on either Roseline or Geib Gators.

Either of those are great entry level pro shears and should keep you happy for many years .

Peperone Pet Supplies who advertise here on DOL have the Geib shears. 7.5 to 8.5 inch size for 50 to 60 bucks.

For years I used "good" scissors and regularly had them sharpened - often to find they still would not cut particuarly well. Eventually I bought a $10 pair and have been using them for years without having them sharpened once. Go figure!

I do agree though that ideally you need to feel the scissors in your hand to know if they are right for you.