So What's The Answer?

Kirislin

[

Can we please hear more about this research

I've already referred to research in my posts on this topic. So you've 'heard about it'. What you highlighted was my summary statement that evidence is available.

I also pointed out that what was necessary was 'knowledge and effort'. Do as I do....make the effort to locate research on the topic.

Okay I get your message. I'm just a lazy old fart. :cry::wave:

I don't use language like that.....especially being old myself.

You didn't have to go far....both my recent posts in this topic were full of references to research findings.

And you got the same comment that I give students...and to myself (there's far more published on dog aggression/management). Go look.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last person killed in WA by dog attack was an elderly woman mauled to death by a couple of neighbours Rottweilers that were roaming.

Were the Rottweilers papered dogs bred by an experienced Rottweiler breeder who breeds to type or were they BYB's or perhaps crossbreeds??

Not sure what difference this would make?

Parentage and bloodline makes a big difference to the outcome of the progeny, stable dogs of strong nerve will generally produce the same likewise the breeding of fear biters of weak nerve will produce the same.........a fine line exists between protective and an insecure/reactive temperament.so in the case of the elderly woman killed by neighbours Rottweilers would be interesting to know the breeding background of those dogs?

The last person killed in WA by dog attack was an elderly woman mauled to death by a couple of neighbours Rottweilers that were roaming.

Were the Rottweilers papered dogs bred by an experienced Rottweiler breeder who breeds to type or were they BYB's or perhaps crossbreeds??

From their posts it seems m-sass believes that as long as a dog is a purebred, bred by a responsible breeder there is no chance it could attack. Only cross bred, BYB "landsharks" do that.

Dogs who attack passive people generally have a component of insecurity in their make up, breeder experienced with their bloodlines know the temperaments of the dogs they are breeding and what those lines produce and what their ancestors produced, what bloodline experience does the BYB have in comparison by mating just "anything" when they wouldn't know who the ancestors of the parents are let alone what traits they bought to the table, or the BYB is purposely breeding short nerved unstable dogs in their belief demonstrate protective instinct where is in fact what they demostrate is insecuirty and fear aggression and shouldn't ideally be bred on........the dedicated breeder of quality dogs of stable temperaments knows the difference, the BYB doesn't.

Too many dodgy unregistered breeders around breeding 'massive/awesome protection and security' dogs from whatever they can get their hands on - Rotties, Mastiffs, GSDs...

Little do these dodgy breeders know that the iconic protection dogs of the highest global ratings are safe around passive people, I have seen this in a military display with a GSD and several Belgian Malinois, after their protection routines their handlers were allowing people to pat them, the dogs were actually friendly towards friendly people, suffice to say I could imagine the result if someone tried to attack the handler, by default though, the dogs were not HA or DA in the slightest, stability of temperament was part of their breeding.

Edited by m-sass

From their posts it seems m-sass believes that as long as a dog is a purebred, bred by a responsible breeder there is no chance it could attack. Only cross bred, BYB "landsharks" do that.

Dogs who attack passive people generally have a component of insecurity in their make up, breeder experienced with their bloodlines know the temperaments of the dogs they are breeding and what those lines produce and what their ancestors produced, what bloodline experience does the BYB have in comparison by mating just "anything" when they wouldn't know who the ancestors of the parents are let alone what traits they bought to the table, or the BYB is purposely breeding short nerved unstable dogs in their belief demonstrate protective instinct where is in fact what they demostrate is insecuirty and fear aggression and shouldn't ideally be bred on........the dedicated breeder of quality dogs of stable temperaments knows the difference, the BYB doesn't.

I think you're preaching to the choir here - I doubt anyone will argue about, by and large, BYBs mating anything, and thus ending up with progency of anything x anything. Nor will people disagree that experienced breeders are more likely (one would hope) to research and know their bloodlines.

The thing is, you're dealing with probabilities, and you have to add environmental factors on to that. Which means that there are no guarantees either way. Just like not every pedigreed dog has an even temperament and isn't involved in the kind of dog attacks that grace the In The News board here, not every non-papered or cross bred dog is a ticking timebomb that does. If you disagree with that, frankly I think you've got your head in the sand. If you agree.. I'm still not sure what it really adds. Just more complexity.