Big Dog Barf

Guest english.ivy

Guest english.ivy

Just wondering if anyone feeds this and your personal views?

I went to BP&G yesterday for supplies and it was pouring outside so I took my time and wandered around. Stopped at the freezers and started reading the boxes of the Big Dog BARF.

Always thought they were expensive but breaking it down per kilo, they are quite cheap. I haven't priced it anywhere else but going by their website, there are a few other places that stock it in Perth. So I might head there tomorrow and take a look.

So yeah, just wondering if anyone feeds it ..

by the way .. taking on the advice of a few dolers regarding my Pointer, he is looking heaps better :) In the way of body condition. In such a short period of time too.

I have been feeding and selling Big Dog Barf for many years, they used to manufacture the Dr Billinghurst Barf before he changed companies, I am very happy with the product. I have just this month stopped ordering it in due to lack of sales, I will most likely re-order again later on but for now I am making it for my own dogs.

Great product, great company who are easy to deal with.

I am feeding Black Hawk and barf.

Edited by Andisa

Thanks Andisa.

Do you know why the sales have dropped recently?

It's just for me, I work from home and don't promote my grooming or the sales of the Barf, most of my clients are very loyal and have been grooming for so long that many dogs are dying of old age, some people have bought new dogs and I have been doing those too but the barf side of it I think depends on price for some people. I hardly sold one pack at a time it was usually a box of 4 packs and I wouldn't see them for ages. I was ordering barf twice a month and lately I have only been ordering it every couple of months. I only had 3 people buying it lately and have told them where else to get it. My orders were usually around $700 each time getting the better deal. It's just easier for me to make up what I want for my own dogs now. I am thinking about selling my 6 basket ice cream freezer and just using the 2 x 150ltr freezers for the dogs now - will save on the power bill too without running the big freezer.

I was selling them for $20 per pack and $22 for Roo and Turkey, have seen other places are around $5 more per pack than what I was. I actually enjoy making what I need for my dogs and saves me forking out so much at once. When the sales were good I did ok and it was paying for the cost of running the freezers, but it's not worth it any more.

Edited by Andisa

Guest english.ivy

I'm paying between $8 and $13 for human grade mince [roo or beef] and then making my own patties.

Big Dog is the same cost and it's already weighed and frozen.

I did like the fact you could buy two meats that were THAT meat source only, which was kangaroo and the other I forget.

I haven't seen the Dr B's ones?

Guest english.ivy

Yeah it would get expensive running the freezer for all that food!

You're selling them cheaper than what I saw yesterday. 3kg box of roo BARF was around $25. But that is just looking at one stockist.

I was looking into big dog barf to feed Missy and Rascal cost to much to feed all 4 dogs. But here I can only get 12x250 gram patties for $24, The roo is $27. If I worked it out right 24x250gram patties would last Missy 3 weeks 3 days,12x250gram would last Rascal 3 months.Now if I wanted to feed all 4 dogs I would need to buy 5 boxes which would cost $120.

I feed Big Dog BARF and have done for several years now.

I used to feed Dr. Billinghursts but when Big Dog started their own brand I switched and I much prefer their formula to Dr.B's and so do my dogs.

I am not alone in that either as several of my clients also switched because their dogs were putting on too much weight with Dr. B's and their dogs didn't like it much. When they switched over to the Big Dog formula their dogs were delighted!!!

Guest english.ivy

I was looking into big dog barf to feed Missy and Rascal cost to much to feed all 4 dogs. But here I can only get 12x250 gram patties for $24, The roo is $27. If I worked it out right 24x250gram patties would last Missy 3 weeks 3 days,12x250gram would last Rascal 3 months.Now if I wanted to feed all 4 dogs I would need to buy 5 boxes which would cost $120.

Yes, would be expensive to feed four dogs. Though, if I were to feed it, it would be in addition to dry food and only once a day. That's why I never really looked at it before, I thought 'whoa, $27 for a box is roo meat'! But after making my own patties for awhile, I can understand.

I feed Big Dog BARF and have done for several years now.

I used to feed Dr. Billinghursts but when Big Dog started their own brand I switched and I much prefer their formula to Dr.B's and so do my dogs.

I am not alone in that either as several of my clients also switched because their dogs were putting on too much weight with Dr. B's and their dogs didn't like it much. When they switched over to the Big Dog formula their dogs were delighted!!!

Great feedback, thanks :) I'm hoping the other store is open tomorrow so I can see if the boxes are cheaper. It is a horse and hound supply shop, so it should be.

I'm paying between $8 and $13 for human grade mince [roo or beef] and then making my own patties.

I did like the fact you could buy two meats that were THAT meat source only, which was kangaroo and the other I forget.

This was taken a few years ago so I am not sure on what the packaging looks like for Dr B's Barf now.

294921_461583703854669_1674628255_n.jpg

And the Big Dog Barf.

album_3942_575.jpg

If you want to save some time at feeding you can always stuff a chicken frame with selected meats/organs or homemade barf - mine love it.

album_3949_131.jpg

If you want to save some time at feeding you can always stuff a chicken frame with selected meats/organs or homemade barf - mine love it.

album_3949_131.jpg

The stuffed chicken frames sound like a great idea for Missy and my goldens probably one would be plenty for the whole day. What supplements do you use if any? What omega 3 and 5 oils would you use? for my chihuahua i would have to give a chicken neck or half a chicken wing or turkey wing plus some minced meat and offal on the side. I put them back on kibble for now tillI learn more on raw feeding.

English Ivy I was feeding Big dog BARF for a while and thought it was a good food. My dog loved some varieties more than others, and seemed happier eating them when they were semi-frozen.

Which was good, considering the number of times I hadn't thawed enough patties. :o

I have been feeding Barf for years now.. But have just stoped within the last month.. Did nothing but make my dogs sick.. One time One was so sick it cost me $500 at the vets n with him spewing blood! Back then i was using rolls.. I also found to me looks like chicken crawls in my rolls..

I started off making my own BARF which consisted of minced chicken frames from various butchers plus VAN etc.

My dog were getting sick ie vomiting or just off their food frequently.

I found that the minced chicken frames often smelt of chlorine and sometimes they just smelt OFF even though they came from a butcher.

Because of this I switched over to Dr. B's BARF and then over to Big Dog BARF.

Problem solved!!!!

I wouldn't make my own BARF ever again ..... it is false economy ..... even though I have quite a few dogs to feed!

album_3949_131.jpg

The stuffed chicken frames sound like a great idea for Missy and my goldens probably one would be plenty for the whole day. What supplements do you use if any? What omega 3 and 5 oils would you use? for my chihuahua i would have to give a chicken neck or half a chicken wing or turkey wing plus some minced meat and offal on the side. I put them back on kibble for now tillI learn more on raw feeding.

I won't hand out much advice on raw feeding any more since one of my dogs had Pancreatitis late last year - but I will say do your own research and when you think you have done enough - KEEP LOOKING.. I am back to searching for other ways to feed my boy in hope to get him back on a whole raw diet but for now he is doing very well on selected raw and Black Hawk.

Edited by Andisa

Guest english.ivy

I have been feeding Barf for years now.. But have just stoped within the last month.. Did nothing but make my dogs sick.. One time One was so sick it cost me $500 at the vets n with him spewing blood! Back then i was using rolls.. I also found to me looks like chicken crawls in my rolls..

But were you feeding homemade BARF or pre-made? If pre-made, what brand? I'm not just talking about BARF in general, I'm talking about the brand Big Dog.