Heat Pack Suggestions

Can anyone recommend a good heat pack for a dog with back pain? Coco is an older boy with spinal issues. I'm looking for one that will sit comfortably on his back and preferably not slide off when he moves.

And be careful with heat packs too - they can get very warm and burn without proper insulation (and even with insulation sometimes). We humans can remove them for a while if they get uncomfortable, but a dog can't

Could you make up a coat for him to wear and put in heat packs in pockets?

Problem is many of them are heavy, is it for when he is just sleeping or when up and about?

Thanks, yes I didn't want something too heavy. It's mainly for use in the evenings when he is resting on the couch. I can hold a heat pack on his back for a while, but it doesn't stay in place when he moves.

And be careful with heat packs too - they can get very warm and burn without proper insulation (and even with insulation sometimes). We humans can remove them for a while if they get uncomfortable, but a dog can't

Yes, thanks.

I wonder if there are any with proper insulation that don't get too hot?

I would suggest extreme caution with heat packs - they can do more harm than good.

How about a nice ordinary warm coat - body heat alone may do the trick.

If he isn't on Cartophen, I'd suggest you talk to your vet about that too.

What about a human heated throw rug/blanket?

Warm but not to hot or heavy, can be wrapped around the back and he can get up and move if too hot.

That's an idea, it would certainly be easy to keep over his back. Would that be as effective as heat packs in relieving pain?

I would suggest extreme caution with heat packs - they can do more harm than good.

Thanks, he did have a course of cartrophen earlier in the year, but he has recently recovered from discospondylitis and is still on daily dexamethasone for a collapsed disc. He still sometimes shows signs of pain in the evenings though which is when the vet suggested using a heat pack.

A warmer coat would be easy. Would body heat alone be enough to help ease the pain?

Thanks, he did have a course of cartrophen earlier in the year, but he has recently recovered from discospondylitis and is still on daily dexamethasone for a collapsed disc. He still sometimes shows signs of pain in the evenings though which is when the vet suggested using a heat pack.

A warmer coat would be easy. Would body heat alone be enough to help ease the pain?

In my experience, yes. A warm dog won't feel it as badly.

Is an infra red lamp a possibility - he can move away from it if it gets too hot.

I would also consider a heated bed.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

In my experience, yes. A warm dog won't feel it as badly.

Is an infra red lamp a possibility - he can move away from it if it gets too hot.

I would also consider a heated bed.

He doesn't have a heated bed as such but he does have snuggle safe disc for his bed. I hadn't thought of an infra-red lamp, thanks.