Unknown Allergic Reaction

Had my boxer at the vet this morning, he broke out in the same allergic reaction he's had a few times.

He comes up in these small lumps/welts over his legs which eventually spread over his body and make him itch like crazy. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it is? My vet is a man of very few words. An injection at the vet clears it up but really knocks him out too.

Hives... most commonly caused by an allergic reaction to something eaten, touched, inhaled, or from an insect bite. Maybe think back over the past 24hours and list anything the dog has been in contact with including any foods or medications.

The injection would be an antihistamine and yes they zonk you for a while.

My girl has had this. we think it's either a reaction to a bee sting or ant bite. My girl doesn't get too bothered by it luckily but it has only happened a couple time so far. I took her the vet and he said he could give her an antihistamine shot but coz it wasn't worrying her didn't. The lumps went down after a couple hours and were completely gone in about 12 hours. We have some human antihistamine at home now just incase (recommended by my vet and was given the dosing rate) but haven't had to use it yet...spring is just around the corner tho. Here is a pic of her lumps ...

It's horrible when these things happen to our furkids. Hope yours isn't too trouble by it :(

post-40535-0-27506600-1340417689_thumb.jpg

My girl has had this. we think it's either a reaction to a bee sting or ant bite. My girl doesn't get too bothered by it luckily but it has only happened a couple time so far. I took her the vet and he said he could give her an antihistamine shot but coz it wasn't worrying her didn't. The lumps went down after a couple hours and were completely gone in about 12 hours. We have some human antihistamine at home now just incase (recommended by my vet and was given the dosing rate) but haven't had to use it yet...spring is just around the corner tho. Here is a pic of her lumps ...

It's horrible when these things happen to our furkids. Hope yours isn't too trouble by it :(

That pic is exactly what he gets, I just take him to the vet early. I waited and monitored him once, by the time the itching drove him crazy it was all over him and I had to take him to the after hours emergency vet...a very expensive trip for one injection!

I've an allergy dog and my vets advise me that hives are rarely something to worry about - even though they look terrible and freak me out. When I last took him to the vet I asked them to give me some antihistamine tablets so I could manage him myself when affected.

Much cheaper to administer a tablet yourself and monitor their reactions than go to the vet each time the hives turn up.

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

Our old stafford used to get hives and swelling if he was stung by a bee. His escalated and he couldn't breathe, so he had to have adrenalin as well as antihistamine injected at the vet..

He also used to get the hives as a result from the type of cancer that he had... Mast cell tumours release histamine and he needed to take antihistamine tablets every day. He was on polaramine from the chemist. This worked fine and once his dose was sorted, he rarely had a histamine release from the tumours that required anything further than an extra dose of polaramine.

I use Calendula Tea on the skin to soothe and heal. Treatment usually works inside 24 hours (or sooner) and at least some if not all relief is generally immediate. Cheap (around $9.00 for 50g) and kind on the dog. Get from your health food store - make sure you go for an organic brand that is also free of colour enhancement.

My boy had several bouts of hives (like, as in, all over his body) when he was younger and this did the trick each time. Had the antihistamines in the pantry as a "just in case" back-up, but never ended up needing to open them.