Cc On Still Life

This is one I planned for the set subject for next week's club comp, subject is three. I wanted to show three different stages of the flower. It's deliberately dark, I tried to get as much as I wanted in camera so there is very little PP. I didn't have the right torch to light the flower petals enough so I had to later two images and do a small levels adjustment in PS. I'll be doing test prints tomorrow so would appreciate any critiques before then.

7465331102_4e10ac3029_z.jpg

I really like it! Like concept & like the colours.

One question. Why did you choose for the bud & dead to be out of focus? Not a criticism, just curious. The bud looks more oof than the dead one.

I tried them in focus and it just didn't work as well. The unopened bud is close to the lens and the dead one a fair bit back. I moved them all over the place at first and tried so many different ways of lighting and used two different types of light bulbs. In the end I settled on leaving the two OOF even though my original idea was to have them in focus.

I really love this shot, it looks fantastic! Are these pics going in your local camera club? We have a camera club here and I have been once but not sure I would fit in as they seemed to be a friendly but very clicky kind of group, its hard to come in on a close knit group like that and fit in.

Good luck, let us know how you go!

Yep, I'm a member of the Riverland camera club, I have to go back each month for a doctors appointment so I time it for comp night. If you've got the time a club is great, especially if they have judges critiques for their comps. Even if you don't chat a lot to the others you can learn a lot from entering your shots. Having a different subject each month also helps get the creative process going as you have to shoot things you don't normally shoot in an interesting way :laugh:

I'm not either, it is an real effort to talk to people I don't know. I just ask them about their gear or look at their photos and start from there. If you have photos with you people often can't help but ask to see them as well, they are always keen to scope out the noobs :laugh:

I haven't been with this club all that long, about 6 months, but in the past I've been to a few others, but that was a very long time ago. This one is a country town one that has members from the surrounding towns. It has everyone from raw beginners to pros. Some members just have little point and shoots, up to good DSLRs. I've only been to one meeting at the local club down in Adelaide, not sure I have the energy to devote to more than one club. Even down here though there was people with just point and shoots.

I love this photo, the subject, the colours, the darkness, the slight glow the petals seem to have, it's just beautiful. Looking forward to hearing how it went in the competition.