Dog Aggressive/reactive Guide Dog?

mixeduppup

I remember years ago walking down a suburban street in Melbourne and seeing a blind man give his guide dog a firm whack on the backside with his leash after the dog pulled him across a road to meet another dog that was barking at them from behind a front fence.

I think one must remember that guide dogs, seeing-eye dogs or whatever you want to call them, are still dogs, not some programmed machine or sub-human and sometimes get distracted and exhibit the normal responses of a dog. Think how easily humans get distracted and have accidents.

A blind assistance dog handler would be in a worse position than sighted assistance dog handlers, not being able to see a potential distraction of their dog.

I notice dogs used to tether autistic children are often pictured wearing electronic collars in training because of the risk to the child if the dog misbehaved.

I understand that dogs are just dogs but this is not a one time occurrence and whenever anyone (not just me) passes with their dogs, it's on. Whether he just wants to play or is being aggressive, i can't really tell, it's almost frustration. Either way he stops responding to his owner and puts him in danger.