Looking For A Foster Family - Gsp Male

GSP Lover

Hi all,

I am new to this site but I am here because am need help finding a family to mind/foster my GSP for about 8 mths.

We are rebuilding our house and where we are staying in the interim is a strictly no dogs venue. I had arranged for a friend from work to take him in with her dog, but that hasn't worked out at all and so now I have a huge issue. Old house being knocked down in a couple of weeks.

Baxter is a desexed, microchipped, vaccinated, etc 6yo male GSP (originally a rescue dog). He is the most loving dog you could imagine and is brilliant with kids (he's watched both mine grow from pregnancy to toddler)...

He is however, not good with cats or small fluffy dogs or young submissive puppies. He is absolutely an inside dog (that was one of the key reasons the previous arrangement didn't work)... He needs human company more than anything else! but has lived with other dogs (GSP male and Retriever female) and is very good. He doesn't jump up or lick and is great with feeding, walking, etc. He would need high fencing and a warm house and lots of pats. He's never bitten anyone and is such a softie.

I am hoping there is someone out there that may be able to help me.

He is no good in kennels as he frets and loses a lot of weight. I am running out of options at this point and I really don't know what to do.

Please let me know if you can help or if you know someone else that may be able to help. Please call me if you have any other questions. Louise - 0418391166

Try Pacers - Steve on DOL, they might be able to find a foster carer for you

Sorry at work, cant link you to their website but I am sure someone else will

Hi,

I know the GSP Club in NSW does foster, rescues and re-homes........contact the GSP Club in Vic....have you contacted the breeder, they maybe able to help

Edited by Showpony

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have sent a message to Pacers.

Baxter was a rescue dog - so bredder is not an option unfortunately.

Given the urgent timelines, any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

To be perfectly honest, it would be very hard to look after a dog for 8 months and then give them back. You might find someone that wants a dog but can't commit to one long term?

Things to think about:

* Does Baxter have insurance? What if something happens while he is with someone else? Will you pay all the bills? Remember that a weekend in emergency could cost you many thousands of dollars. This almost always needs to be paid on the day. What if there is an emergency and you can't be contacted? If I was to foster a dog, I'd want a commitment to pay up to $x for the dog. Remember that the foster carer will most probably need to pay the vet upfront in an emergency. This is a big financial risk for someone.

* Does Baxter have indemnity insurance? If something happens while in someone else's care (eg Baxter escapes, gets onto a road and causes an accident), the foster carer will be legally liable. Some pet insurance gives a certain amount of indemnity insurance (eg PetPlan). This might be another barrier to getting a carer.

* Are you going to cover all other costs (food, worming etc). I might have missed that in your post. Also, are you willing to pay someone a small fee to compensate them for all the walks, trips etc that they'll have to take?

Please note that this is not an easy decision for me and I am trying all possible avenues.

I know it is not going to be easy to find a solution... The reason I am posting here is because I am hoping that if a reach out via a wide network someone might know someone and help me to find the right solution for Baxter.

Please feel free to contact me if you think you might have any ideas for a solution or if you might know someone, but please also understand that I am not a bad person trying to do a selfish thing... this has come about very quickly and put us into a very awkward situation.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.