Worming

I have not wormed Gus in quite some time... probably all winter, just because it has slipped my mind and something just triggered my memory.

I have heard its dangerous to heart worm a dog if they already have a heart worm... how do I know if he has one, and should i worm him asap? :(

Guest Arcane

yes get the vet to do a blood test first for heartworm. Its fast & inexpensive and will give you peace of mind to go ahead & heartworm Gus.

If he did happen to have a heartworm load, by giving him the prevention meds, you could potentially kill him. The worms die & release and then have to flush out of the heart. If the load is too big the artery can become blocked as the dead worms pass through. That is my basic understanding anyway. I'm happy to stand corrected if anyone has more accurate info

With Heartworms, we'd recommend using the Proheart injection and then testing in a couple of months as the heartworm from missing a couple of doses aren't mature enough to be picked up by the blood test. Proheart has a three month reach back period so it is fairly safe in that respect.

Occassionally we'll do a blood test now and then again in three months for owners peace of mind.

Other heartworm medications can be deadly if they do have a high heartworm burden.

Hope this helps :)

yes get the vet to do a blood test first for heartworm. Its fast & inexpensive and will give you peace of mind to go ahead & heartworm Gus.

If he did happen to have a heartworm load, by giving him the prevention meds, you could potentially kill him. The worms die & release and then have to flush out of the heart. If the load is too big the artery can become blocked as the dead worms pass through. That is my basic understanding anyway. I'm happy to stand corrected if anyone has more accurate info

This was my understanding too. I believe Revolution is safe though *best to check with your vet first though in case I am wrong