Puppy & Doggy Door

milacon

Hi DOL'ers

I've been a long time follower/reader but first time poster.

Just wondering if it's relatively safe for a 9 week old puppy to be using a doggy door unsupervised while we are at work during the day?

We have a Samoyed pup and although the plan was for him to stay indoors (because I'm paranoid of theft), he seems happy to be outside and it would give him the option of going to the toilet outside by himself.

If we do decide to go ahead with it, the backyard area will be fenced off to only give him part of the backyard and not all.

And sorry for the stupid question, but how do you go about installing a doggy door if you have a wooden door and the metal security door?

Do you install a doggy door on both (meaning you buy 2) or do you remove the security door altogether?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi

My Samoyed boy (10 weeks) has mastered the doggie door and comes in and out when we are at home. He loves being outside too.

When we are at work, he is penned though.

Be warned, at 9 weeks, they still have no control of their bladder, so even if you let him have an option of going to toilet, he won't necessary go outside to do his business.

As for installing... I have no idea. Mr W did all the doggy door.. sorry I can't help there :o

But, we don't have a flyscreen door at the back door because it's linked to our sunroom, but we always have the sunroom door opened.

As for pictures.. you show me your Samoyed and I'll show you mine :p

Also join the Samoyed/JS thread

Edited by W Sibs

Hi!

Probably best to test out the dog door and backyard use during the weekend when you can observe from afar, rather than jumping straight in to a solo 8+ hour day with access to outside. The alternative is to have a friend/neighbour/dog walker come and check on puppy during the day for the first few weeks.

With the installation, you will only need to put the dog door in the timber door, but you will have to obviously cut out a hole (no dog door needed) in the security door. I love my Staywell flexible door dog flap, it's quiet when they go through it so helps with the training. Much like this one....

Staywell dog door

Good luck and I think restricting access to the whole yard for the time being is a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips.

Here is a pic of Koda.

We've put a hold on the doggy door idea at the moment as he doesn't seem too fussed to be inside for now.

He sleeps for most of the day anyway when we are not home thankfully.

post-36035-0-01431600-1343791755_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Thinking of putting in a Puppy/Doggy door for the new Pup and maybe Jasper.

The main motivation is to allow Puppy to freely transition from inside to the yard (when she is old enough.) Jasper can be in or out, he doesn’t really need a door, but he will WANT to be wherever the puppy is.

I was thinking of perhaps making the door big enough only for puppy, so that she can escape inside when she needs a rest. But then I am worried that Jasper will get himself stuck in the door???

The main motivation is to allow Puppy to freely transition from inside to the yard (when she is old enough.) Jasper can be in or out, he doesn’t really need a door, but he will WANT to be wherever the puppy is.

I was thinking of perhaps making the door big enough only for puppy, so that she can escape inside when she needs a rest. But then I am worried that Jasper will get himself stuck in the door???

In my limited experience I've found if one goes through the othr will follow!!!

And they can fit through smaller spaces than you'd think! (or maybe as you say, get themselves stuck trying).

I'd make the door big enough for both of them once puppy is old and big enough to use it safely. Once you are confident leaving them alone together I would expect them to work out their play and sleep schedule themselves whether they are inside, outside or both.

In my limited experience I've found if one goes through the othr will follow!!!

Wrong, lol. My youngster, now 12 months old will come in the doggy door, but not out, even though he wants to be everywhere his big 'brother' is. We have tried the treat thing, holding open the flap which sometimes works and just all being outside and encouraging him, but 99% of the time to no avail. He will happily come in though.