Using Surrogate Mother

Lynai

As providential as it seems, my lovely dog loving neice has a litter due on the EXACT same day as myself.

My neice's bitch, a golden retriever, has a history of producing smaller litters and a history of absconding with other dogs pups (when available) and even kittens to supplement her litter size, lol, she takes any and all babies. This will be the girls last litter, and it is expected to be small again.

Now, my question, would you use this girl as a surrogate if you had an exceptionally large litter where you might find yourself supplementing your puppies if you did not use her?

If you did use her as a surrogate, would you opt to just go ahead and place/leave a certain number of your puppies with her and leave a certain amount on your own girl? I'm thinking of just placing a few pups on the surrogate and leaving the rest on my bitch.

I have never used a surrogate before and because of its availability, I am considering it as an option if we end up having a large litter. My girl comes from a very large litter, and she comes from bitches with histories of large litters..so I am at the moment just comptemplating options and looking for input from surrogate users

One of my bitches had a huge litter for a mini poodle 10 - we were worried and became even more so when one of my other girls decided to lend a helping paw - but she was wonderful - she would hop in and clean the pups and stay with them all night and then after a while she even got milk to help out - at first we tried to keep her away but she ended up being a real Godsend. If she is as motherly as you say it may help especially if the other girl does have a large litter. You could probably find the thread had so many helpful replies and it was only about 6 weeks or so ago.

When I first read your thread.I thought you were having a baby, but you mean you have a bitch about to whelp dont you :laugh:

When my whippet had 9 pups and was in intensive care, I had to take the surviving pups home to hand raise. Another whippet person heard of my plight and his bitch had whelped a small litter the very next day, so he put some afterbirth in his fridge and some of my pups were taken to her. They rubbed the afterbirth on them and plonked them in with his bitch and she took them straight away. Nothing does a better job of raising puppies than a good mothering bitch.

Edited by Kirislin

When I first read your thread.I thought you were having a baby, but you mean you have a bitch about to whelp dont you :laugh:

LOL, thankfully I'm talking about the bitch...then again my sister may say, lets not argue semantics, lol :D :D :D

Thanks all for the input, I do think I will use this girl if I end up having a large litter. The only downside is the pups would be away from my home, but not too far.