Does Whelping Get Easier For The Bitch 2nd Time Around?

Merrirose

My bitch (6yo) is due in 16 days and the first time she whelped (5yo) the first pup was breech and not coming out without assistance so ended up at the vet. I managed to get the first pup out on the way and couldn't revive her. The vet assisted her (pulled out) 4 of the 5 remaining pups. The bitch is a bit of a wuss and didnt want to push too hard though she was also quite tired I would assume by the end. The last pups to be born were getting tired too as she had been at it for a fair while by then. Thankfully all was well after we lost the first one. I asked the vet at the time if i should not breed with her again due to the difficulty the bitch had and the vet was of the opinion that there was absolutely no reason to not breed her again.

Has anyone had a bitch that didn't do so great first time around that whelped easily the next?

Yep. One of mine refused to push after the first contractions, ended up with a caesar 3am Christmas Day :eek:

I didn't breed from her again for 4 years because of this then finally had no choice if I didn't want to lose the line, she had 5 pups in less than an hour and a half.

Doesn't mean it's always going to happen this way, but there's hope. Maiden bitch with a breech first pup can often cause a problem IME.

Yep. One of mine refused to push after the first contractions, ended up with a caesar 3am Christmas Day :eek:

I didn't breed from her again for 4 years because of this then finally had no choice if I didn't want to lose the line, she had 5 pups in less than an hour and a half.

Doesn't mean it's always going to happen this way, but there's hope. Maiden bitch with a breech first pup can often cause a problem IME.

THANK YOU! Here is hoping at least the first one is facing the right way this time :-)

My experience has been that my bitch has weak contractions and pups sit in the birth canal too long, 1st litter she had 5 pups one alive rest dead and unfortunately the same this time around with only one alive and needing a Caesar! All this after lengthy talks with her breeder and my vet was just unfortunate that my regular vet was overseas at the time of the 2nd litter as it maybe a totally different outcome.

Hoping all goes well for you

Not with my girls anyway. One had 2 em c sections and was later spayed. The other was 1st litter, 5 pups natural deliver, perfect all the way, her second litter a pup was stuck and had an em c section, she is also spayed. I am starting over again with a new bitch and really hoping that the old saying of 3rd time lucky is true :D .

Good luck :thumbsup:

That's pretty much a "how long is a piece of string" type question.

Some bitches will have a hard time the first time and breeze through subsequently. On the other hand, you might have a bitch which had whelped freely and easily and then strike difficulties. My first Stafford bitch did this. Her first two litters she popped out like she was shelling peas. Then her third (and last) a puppy got stuck and tore her uterus and she had to be desexed on the table during an emergency C-section.

Vigilance and meticulous record-keeping are the answers for ANY bitch. Never let your guard drop or assume anything.