Need Help Picking Obedience Club

I have found 3 obedience clubs in my local area (Berwick VIC) and was wondering if anyone has experience (good and bad) with any of them. I had decided to go to Berwick as it was very affordable compaired to the others but I was not that happy with it the last time I went.

the 3 in my area are:

1. Berwick Obedience Club

2. Training Offered at Vets- Woof Per Nah

3. Berwick K-9 IQ

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have found 3 obedience clubs in my local area (Berwick VIC) and was wondering if anyone has experience (good and bad) with any of them. I had decided to go to Berwick as it was very affordable compaired to the others but I was not that happy with it the last time I went.

the 3 in my area are:

1. Berwick Obedience Club

2. Training Offered at Vets- Woof Per Nah

3. Berwick K-9 IQ

Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't know about the others, but Southern Cross Animal Stars run the training at WoofPurNay and they are very friendly and helpful, you can use food or toys to reward your dog, use whatever equipment suits you and your dog and it is held indoors out of the elements, although they do go outside sometimes when the weather is suitable. They offer classes from puppies up to advanced obedience and also beginner and advanced tricks.

Can I ask why you didn't like Berwick? It is on my list of possibilities at the moment.

When I was there it was very windy and I had trouble hearing the instructors. This could have been the time of year Sept to Nov or it could just be the location. I also found different instructors would say different things so I got a bit confused.

Can I ask why you didn't like Berwick? It is on my list of possibilities at the moment.

When I was there it was very windy and I had trouble hearing the instructors. This could have been the time of year Sept to Nov or it could just be the location. I also found different instructors would say different things so I got a bit confused.

It is just the location. I found when I went there last year (only twice because then I got busy and then injured so I've been out of training for nearly a year) that the instructors were brilliant. Class sizes were quite large in the early levels, but they take reactive dogs into consideration and spend 1/1 time with you if you're struggling. We started in one group, and the instructor could see we found it too easy so we got moved up after only a week. I also noticed when I was there that they lined you up at the start of class, and then asked who you were with the week before, so you could stay in the same group.

megan_ knowing your two, I think Berwick would probably tick your boxes too, although i'm still undecided about the agility side of things there, I clashed pretty badly with one of the instructors in my first week and she put me off. We might go back and try flyball again :laugh:

There's a few DOLers as well from memory..

Edited by Bundyburger

I have just joined Berwick and so far I am very happy - the ground is muddy +++ but apart from that a good club.

I am learning some great things about trialling and my handling. People have been very friendly and supportive.

I have trained 2 dogs through Berwick obedience, completed the instructors course and occasionally intstruct when time allows between family and flyball commitments. You need to remember that all instructors at Berwick are volunteers (which is why it is affordable) and are trained through the in-house training course which evolves over time so different instructors have different foundations to their knowledge. I find the way instructors teach is also influenced by their own experiences in training thier own dogs. This means there will be variation between instructors and when I first started there I found it a bit confusing as well but then I came to realise that in a way it is a strength as not all dogs are the same and different dogs require different strategies so the varying and sometimes contradictory information gave me options to sort through to find the right way to train my dogs, especially the second one who was a rescue and quite challenging. This is fine for most people and their dogs but some people may need more professional help or find this environment is not right for them and will find other clubs more suitable.

The ground condtitions at the moment are a bit of a challenge, we don't get much help from the council and the years of drought have left us with issues now that mother nature is providing bountiful rain again but the committee is looking into what can be done to improve things in the future.

We also offer flyball, the best dogsport around ;-)

I'm also training at Berwick - yes different instructors say different things but don't take that as a bad thing! Every dog is different and what method works for one may not work for another and what I've found excellent at the club is that they are open to different methods (and don't just tell you to put a chain on the dog!) and whilst you may find one instructor doesn't suit your dog there will be another that does.

In a few months the grounds will get better :) The good thing about it is my dog is getting good at working in wet/muddy conditions!

I had to stop going to berwick.. Grounds were waaaaay too muddy for my std poodle (HAD to bath him after every class) and he got incredibly bored as much of the class was too repetitive.

I'm at croydon dog club now and it's well worth the 35/40 min drive :) we never do repetitive work and it's much more suited to my poodle (incredibly positive reward based)

Berwick is good for some ppl and not so good for others. Goodluck :)