Puppy Worms...

rajacadoo

I have a litter of just over 7 week old Basenji's and they have been wormed at 2, 4, and 6 weeks, and I have not seen a worm at all :confused: ...

I dont breed often and we have had a few ACD litters and 1 previous Basenji litter, and all the pups had worms at some stage during their growth... Just wondering if I have an odd litter now, or do most people have litters with no worms ???

I have a litter of just over 7 week old Basenji's and they have been wormed at 2, 4, and 6 weeks, and I have not seen a worm at all :confused: ...

I dont breed often and we have had a few ACD litters and 1 previous Basenji litter, and all the pups had worms at some stage during their growth... Just wondering if I have an odd litter now, or do most people have litters with no worms ???

Its just really odd, well at least I thought it was weird :o ... Maybe my previous litters of wormy pups were abnormal, and finally I have a normal litter !!!

AdoubleJ we always worm Mum sometime in the last week or two as well, and still I have worms :confused:...

After bitches whelp, they release roundworm eggs - unless the research has changed since I last checked. I worm my bitches the day after they whelp, and mostly I find no worms in puppy droppings. Pups are wormed 2 weekly, and bitches are wormed just before mating.

Edited by Jed

Roundworm and hook worm work by the lavae sitting around in the bitch and "turn on" crossing the placenta in the last couple of weeks of pregnancy and they also sit in the mammary glands so puppies can be infected before birth and they get it via the milk. Its all about how the Mum was managed when she was a pup and it is also affected by how many litters. Sometimes the first litter will have a higher worm burden than the later ones. You can test the bitch prior to breeding and whelping and she will show clear of worms but the lavea is waiting to cause a problem and the meds don't clear it out of the placentas in that part of the life cycle. So if you have a bitch pup with round worm or hook worms she will usually have worms when she whelps.

This one explains it.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_roundworms_in_dogs___puppies.html

Im really upset :cry: ...

I had my pups vaccinated today and spoke to the Vet about the worms, and she also said that while its not unheard of, (and the worm cycle would allow pups to have worms at every worming), she would find it quite unlikely... I will have to do some more study on this, (thanks Jed for the info, and Steve for the link, that was really helpful in understanding it), before I have another litter... Clearly my worming routine is not sufficient for the pups, so I will need to do more investigating.

Thanks everyone for answering and letting me know I have an issue here that needs to be addressed quickly :o ...

You need to consider how the bitch pup was managed when she was a baby to get the answers.Or even further back to her Mother. You can actually test a bitch for worms in early pregnancy and still have the little buggers cross the placenta and infect the pups because the test and the wormers dont pick them up once they have settled in other organs.they are only good for one part of the life cycle. The idea of worming every two weeks is to get them before they get to other organs and sit dormant waiting until hormones activate the life cycle

I dont see worms in puppies of bitches I have bred but years ago I bought a bitch from Queensland where the breeder was bit slack about it and I had a hell of a time of it.

You always have to assume there may be worms there no matter when you have wormed your bitch or how you have managed her as it only takes one to slip by and set up the lifecycle to go again.