Can I Pick Your Brains :-)

Rogue and I are now in our next Obediance class we graduated from the basic class .. All the dogs are older, Rogue is only 8 mths but we are doing OK .. My question is regarding something they do and I haven't been able to ask the trainer as even though the members are regulars, most years they all line up to talk to the trainer .. He likes all dogs at different parts of the session to get in close very close, either walking in a tight group or meeting in the middle of a circle tight or walking through sort of interlocking each other.. Rogue gets jumpy madly looking behind him and I just say come on in a happy voice and keep moving.. I guess that's what you do?

Last night their was a rotty behind us, ( gorgeous boy young but older than rogue , he may have been about 2) as we were doing some sit stays Rogue looked around saw the rotty and he started to wimper, he ran to my legs , I put him back in position but do you think it is doing him more harm us doing this tight group thing.. The group has varied breeds but mainly German shepherds which all are very snappy with each other and other dogs , the tight group work can be tense.. I'm just feeling a little uneasy and not sure if his sudden signs of fear ( I guess it is fear) when he normally is so relaxed and happy around other dogs.. This is our second class am I being silly with my concern.. I just don't want anything to happen to turn him dog aggressive ( fear agressive) I think that's my fear...

Edit for spelling ..

Edited by mumof4girls

Check out the "Puppy Development Calendar" at the top of the Puppy forum - he is probably going through his 2nd fear period and I would be keeping him away from close encounters. Work him on the fringes of your group and allow him to dictate when he is ready to rejoin. If your instructor is not happy with this then pull out of the class altogether.

I have the same issue with my 10 month old border. I usually tell the instructor at the start that we will be drifting in and out of class, and I keep him away from the intense close up work. Some dogs, even successful trialling dogs, never like the close work. In 'real life' it is usually an avoidable situation, so if it stresses you both, than go slow with it.

Of course, the other difficulty with working close to others is when your dog discovers that other people have great treats too!

I, personally, would not do this with a puppy that is showing he is uncomfortable with that situation. It is your dog and it is up to you to make the call on whether you are happy to continue to do this. Your instructor should make allowances for the younger ones in the group and if not, don't force your pup to comply. The big dogs can be very intimidating to a smaller one so try to keep your distance.

We do something similar at a training class I do at the agility club. Both my dogs are uncomfortable with it, and the instructor told us to just stay at a distance where they're comfortable. Which is fine with me, both of mine are small, and I'd rather not put them in a big group of cattle dogs and kelpies anyway....

Yeah this trainer pushes me to stay tight, I'll go very early next week and tell him I'm not comfortable, if he disagrees I will just change clubs, this one is quite expensive anyway I think and I have a few others to choose from.. Thanks guys I am not that comfortable around other dogs and i thought maybe it was me .. His behaviour has definately changed so we won't be getting that close until he gets bigger and doesn't react like this

Good plan, mumof4girls. This is your dog and you will have to deal with any future problems for the rest of his life. There is a time and a place to put a not confident dog in close quarters with other dogs, but if it's indiscriminate (i.e just other dogs in the class, not selected ones that would be suitable) then you can do more harm than good.

at our club we tell handlers to come into the circle to where they are & the dog are comfortable, we also say do not let your dog get into another dogs face 'cause they may not like it.

So you are doing the right thing you are not happy change clubs :D I know I would if I was pushed like that, good luck :)

We are checkIng out oxley agility club on Sunday . They have obedience classes where you move up to different levels , once rogue reaches 18mths he can start doing more like jumps etc.. Looks good from the website ,fingers crossed.. :-)

We are checkIng out oxley agility club on Sunday . They have obedience classes where you move up to different levels , once rogue reaches 18mths he can start doing more like jumps etc.. Looks good from the website ,fingers crossed.. :-)

You'll probably find that the obedience classes at Oxley are much the same or at least no better unfortunately. Where abouts are you based and where are you currently training?

I'm at camira and go to VAL Bonnie at durack. I want to get into agility when he is older.. What about the one at tivoli? Wasn't able to make oxley but i read that you have to read the VAL bonney book first before joining so thought it would be the same :-(

I had a chat to the trainer tonight but he said don't worry Rogue will be fine.. I told him I am worried this could be making him nervy and anxious and he said no it will be good for him, stop worrying ugh .

. Well once again he was jumpy and wimpering so I won't be going back.. Just need to find another now..

Stick to your guns and pull out of this class - the instructor should have listened to your concerns and allowed you to keep the distance that Rogue feels comfortable with. To force a pup of his age out of his comfort zone is asking for long term problems (IMO).

I'm sticking to my gut feeling, his behavior doesn't feel right , that's all I know being a first time dog owner .. I'll just keep looking ... Being a dog owner is not easy first trying to find a good vet now training club lol lol.. Thanks guys :-)

Good luck with it. It is hard to stand up to an instructor when you want to use different methods and science to what they know from "old school".

Our club has a "fun class" which is for CCD standard dogs (eg graduates of our basic obedience - grade 5) and the current instructor likes to get all the dogs in close but she's always willing to let any dog or handler who is uncomfortable with it - work at a distance. We do have a few dogs in the class that can't do it for various reasons.

I'm not much for flooding or overwhelming a dog with a situation it finds frightening. I'd much rather work at a distance that the dog is still comfortable and responsive and gradually work closer as the dog learns to be ok with it. And 8 months - can be a time to protect your puppy.

Hope someone recommends a good club for you.

For the brisbane area - I've seen these guys recommended - they run small group classes. But I don't personally know anything about them.

Jane Harper - http://www.dogsontrack.com.au/

Craig Murray - http://www.dogschool.com.au/

They might be able to recommend a club or trainer closer to you if that works better for you.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

You are spot on the money with the Oxley club being pretty much the same as Val Bonney's classes. You might like to try out the Agility Dog Club of Queensland (http://www.adcq.com.au/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=12) as I'm pretty sure they run a basic beginners course which doesn't really touch on agility, it's more of a basic obedience type course. They may be more helpful for you and as you want to get into agility then you're already in the right place!

Good luck with it. It is hard to stand up to an instructor when you want to use different methods and science to what they know from "old school".

Our club has a "fun class" which is for CCD standard dogs (eg graduates of our basic obedience - grade 5) and the current instructor likes to get all the dogs in close but she's always willing to let any dog or handler who is uncomfortable with it - work at a distance. We do have a few dogs in the class that can't do it for various reasons.

I'm not much for flooding or overwhelming a dog with a situation it finds frightening. I'd much rather work at a distance that the dog is still comfortable and responsive and gradually work closer as the dog learns to be ok with it. And 8 months - can be a time to protect your puppy.

Hope someone recommends a good club for you.

For the brisbane area - I've seen these guys recommended - they run small group classes. But I don't personally know anything about them.

Jane Harper - http://www.dogsontrack.com.au/

Craig Murray - http://www.dogschool.com.au/

They might be able to recommend a club or trainer closer to you if that works better for you.

Unfortunately both of these guys are Sunshine coast/northside based which proably won't help the OP but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend Jane Harper!