Struvite Crystals

Hi guys :)

I have a dog who has been diagnosed with Struvite. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to feed him AFTER the crystals have

dissolved as i an not keen on putting him on the food the vet wants me to (Hills Science Diet CD). I would prefer a natural approach.

Cheers :) and thanks in advance.

Thanks for the link Staffyluv, I'm having an issue with Struvite crystals and my pug and the vet keeps wanting to switch her to a special/prescription dry food diet, which I refuse to do, but I'd like to find something to help her!

Hi, if you would prefer a natural approach have a read here -Struvite Crystals

There are some good suggestions to add to a home made diet.

I'm not the OP, but I'm jumping into the thread too coz I'm having the same issue :p

We've done all that and as a last resort had her on prescription acidic meds for the last few months which also had little to no effect on the PH of her urine (which is still currently at 8). Next stop is ultrasound or x-ray to see if vet can find any stones, because although her urine shows no signs of infection its still full of crystals.

Thanks for the link Staffyluv, I'm having an issue with Struvite crystals and my pug and the vet keeps wanting to switch her to a special/prescription dry food diet, which I refuse to do, but I'd like to find something to help her!

My previous research was more on Oxalate crystals so I have limited knowledge on the struvite crystals but from what I read they will recur if there is bacteria there..

So clear up any infection and they shouldn't come back.

Also just because there ate crystals, doesn't mean stones will develop that will cause problems..

I remember Ollie still had Oxalate crystals after his surgery but no further stones, after the big one was removed from his bladder.. We did manage his with diet and we removed high Oxalate veg and from memory we had to limit offal.. That all changed again once he got mast cell cancer, which was totally unrelated to the stones...

Hi, if you would prefer a natural approach have a read here -Struvite Crystals

There are some good suggestions to add to a home made diet.

I'm not the OP, but I'm jumping into the thread too coz I'm having the same issue :p

We've done all that and as a last resort had her on prescription acidic meds for the last few months which also had little to no effect on the PH of her urine (which is still currently at 8). Next stop is ultrasound or x-ray to see if vet can find any stones, because although her urine shows no signs of infection its still full of crystals.

:eek: 8!

Hopefully the ultrasound/x ray reveals the cause of her crystals

:eek: 8!

Hopefully the ultrasound/x ray reveals the cause of her crystals

Yeh, 8 with the help of the acidity meds. You'd hate to know what it was before them! I think the only thing keeping UTI's away is the cranberry powder she gets with her dinner each night. Poor little mite, she's only a puppy.

My Cavalier was continually getting UTI's.

She had an ultrasound and no stones but lots of struvite crystals and a PH of 9.3

I commenced her on Cranberry tablets and 2 weeks later she was back to normal.

That was 2 years ago and she has ben fine :crossfingers:

It's horrible to see them sufferring. We must have been very lucky that we were able to get rid of them so easily