Rally-o Honor Exercise

Two possibly silly questions about the honor exercise :o

Can you talk to your dog or repeat commands in the honor exercise?

And, I assume this one may be club dependent, but... do you leave the ring then re-enter to the honor sign, or do you have to go straight from the Finish to Honor? Am I correct in thinking you wouldn't be able to go out and reward your dog after the course then re-enter for the Honor?

The ANKC Rules state:

An Honor Exercise must be included in the Rally Excellent Class. Prior to each class, the Judge will designate either the sit or the down for the Honor Exercise as well as the placement in the ring and will also designate where the Handler will stand during the exercise – either next to or facing the dog. The Honor Exercise must not be in the path of the dog and Handler team that follows. Volunteer dogs will be used for both Honoring the first dog in the class and as a course run – through when the last dog performs the Honor Exercise.

After completing the course, each dog and Handler team may either re-enter through the finish gate, or they may proceed directly to the Honor Station. The dog must remain in the designated position to Honor the next team’s entire course. This exercise must be performed on lead. For the Honor Exercise the Honor Steward will monitor each team, record the score and immediately report it to the Table Steward.

The Queensland DVD add these comments:

You can talk to the dog through the Honour exercise

There are no re-tries for this position

I was taught that you cannot leave the ring but must proceed straight to the Honor position

Hope this helps-I am only "pretending" to be ready for Novice. I think I am more ready for CCD LOL

ETA the dog must always enter and leave the ring on lead so going out to reward may not be possible

Edited by Sue & Waldo

Yes, you can talk to your dog - obviously at the Excellent level - and more so for Excellent B I guess, you'd be hoping to keep talk to a minimum - although you do what you have to do :) .

I know it says volunteer dogs ... but what seems to work fine is for the last dog in the class to do the Honour exercise for the first one's run-through. That's how we did it in my one Excellent trial so far - where there were 2 competitors, each with 2 dogs ... so the judges were kind to us in terms of giving us time to change dogs.

Thanks guys :) My dog is used to Open obedience stays so she doesn't need the talking, I just didn't want to be wondering on the day (and she will be pretty happy if I give her some encouragement) :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I learned the hard way about the 2m lead, as you are leaving the dog, make sure it's not going to get tangled or you catch your feet on it. We are so used to doing stays off lead. I left my dog in training the other night and my foot caught in the lead which caused my dog to break the stay. Glad it was training and not a trial.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this up because our trial was yesterday! Just thought I'd mention that the two honor signs were smack bang in the middle of the course so make sure you practice for that if you are doing Excellent!! I just assumed that the exercise would be done near the start/finish but they were both in the middle (and one quite close to a jump) :)

That's good to hear. My boy is entire, and can be a bit reactive to males - and flirtatious with girls. His eyes nearly fell out of his head when he was competing with a couple of gorgeous Standard Poodles girls in Albury. Thank goodness you can talk to them in Rally :rofl: