What Do You Want From Science?

corvus

Yes it's rather dramatic - that's why I removed it.

I just can't understand that some people can denigrate a whole field of knowledge and structured study - using the product of that field to do it. And I feel about as warm and fuzzy about it as those whose favourite breed they feel is being attacked (whether that belief is well founded or not).

Hopefully I won't be tempted to respond so dramatically again any time soon.

efs

I have not denigrated a "whole field of knowledge and structured study" etc. You are still being dramatic. Overly so.

Here's what I like: there is a new development in the study of a particular disease, a new DNA test for one of my breeds. This happened because of the understanding and knowledge of the scientists involved and the cooperation of a world-wide set of breeders and owners. Loads of fundraising, loads of donations of DNA, cooperation on a wide scale.

Here's what I don't like: Understanding and knowledge goes a long way towards getting cooperation and you don't get cooperation by going on national television and declaring that pedigree dogs are "falling apart" based on evidence from another country.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic