Seizures & Heartworm Meds

Hi all,

One of my 2 beautiful Pom twins started having petite mal seizures a few months back. He had one in June about a week after taking Interceptor. He got a strange look as if he was scared and stiffened up.

It happened again the next month - he was stiff and appeared scared. This was a little over a week after taking Interceptor.

Then this month again it happened. 3 weeks after the last one but he hadn't taken any heartworm meds this time in the week prior?

I did take him to my vet and he did blood and urine work and all came back normal. My vet gave my Pom an herbal treatment to take daily to stop the seizures.

I am so worried about giving him any future heartworm meds because from all I have read they often can be the cause of seizures.

I certainly do not want my Poms to develop heartworm either as I know the treatment for this is very hard on the dog. I am at a loss at what to do???

My vet said I can choose not to give the Interceptor to them and have them tested twice a year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would change to a product that doesn't contain ivermectin. Eg revolution

Some dogs, usually collie breeds, can be very sensitive to ivermectin which can lead to seizures and death. It can be seen in any breed though but more commonly in collie breeds.

There is a test available to see if your dog carries the gene and is therefore more likely to be susceptible

I would change to a product that doesn't contain ivermectin. Eg revolution

Some dogs, usually collie breeds, can be very sensitive to ivermectin which can lead to seizures and death. It can be seen in any breed though but more commonly in collie breeds.

There is a test available to see if your dog carries the gene and is therefore more likely to be susceptible

Thanks aussielover. I will look into your suggestion!

Much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May I suggest you contact Bayer Animal Health Customer service Team. They are vets on the phone and can answer your query re which active ingredients and treatments may be suitable to your dog. Phone 1800678 368 9am till 4.30pm weekdays.

Selamectin is in the family of Ivermectin. Milbemycin in products like Milbemax are a close related group. The thing is Pfizer say it has a greater margin of safety in collie breeds, not that it's 100% safe.

Selamectin disables parasites by replacing glutamate in their muscle synapses; glutamate is the amino acid which normally interacts with the receptors that open chloride channels into the muscle. Selamectin interferes with this process; it activates the chloride current without desensitization, allowing chloride ions to enter the nerve cells and causing neuromuscular paralysis, impaired muscular contraction, and eventual death.