Dogs Arriving In Syd From Nz

Tangwyn

Hi all,

We are landing in Sydney in October with our two dogs in tow. We will be flying from Auckland.

Can anyone give me a heads-up on the Customs process for the dogs when we arrive? Going the other way a few years ago was an absolute nightmare. Took ages to clear through Customs (Biosecurity was fine) and they wanted to charge us duty as well as additional proof that my retriever wasn't a prohibited breed.

Any help gratefully received so we can have our documentations, and expectations, prepared :-)

Many thanks

We brought two dogs and three cats in from NZ about eight years ago and it was a breeze, we just picked them up at the freight office, signed a couple of forms and off we went. Their dog beds, however, were not allowed in - go figure?

We had a similar issue - the blankets in the crates with the dogs were ignored - dog blankets & coats that came later with our household goods were treated as if they had bombs, drugs and typhoid. We chose to have them destroyed as this was the cheapest option - if I'd thought about it I would have thrown a few more in the crates with the girls, including the really nice driazabone coat one of them had won just before we left NZ :(

Edited by Sandra777

Sandra, I am planning on shipping their soft crates with our PEs. They are immaculately clean and have been disinfected. Will they be a problem, do you think?

And when we arrive, do you know where we go to collect our dogs? We're flying with Virgin. And do we pay our Customs and DAFF fees there? And, last question, what are the Customs charges?

Thank you! :-)

Maybe contact dogtainers or someone who does transport, they're usually a pretty good resource for these things? I imagine they'd know the best way to get the beds and things in.

Failing that, could you just post them to someone over here?

Sandra, I am planning on shipping their soft crates with our PEs. They are immaculately clean and have been disinfected. Will they be a problem, do you think?

And when we arrive, do you know where we go to collect our dogs? We're flying with Virgin. And do we pay our Customs and DAFF fees there? And, last question, what are the Customs charges?

Not sure about the soft crates - but fold them up and slide them somewhere like in the mattress cover (if you're bringing that much stuff??) and they may not even be noticed, but if they are and the inspector's find a single dog hair you would likely be up for other charges (min fee was $90 4 years ago).

When collecting dogs in Brisbane we only have to go to one place to pay the inspection fee and get the dog from there too, but I don't know about Sydney... The charges 5 or 6 weeks ago were about $130 for a single dog (under 20kg, no idea if that matters for these fees)

1347064536[/url]' post='5952661']

Have you looked at the Customs and/or DAFF website or tried emailing them? Better to go to the source, surely.