Which Food For Border Collie Pup?

Horsegal98

Sticking to the pro plan for now, but I got a bag of Canidae to trial inside her toys. Samples of black hawk, eagle pack, Nutro, nutrience and holistic select on the way.

My Borders are all on Nutro, and are thriving on it - we are more than happy with it. It's the best dry food we've used.

The dogs also get meat, chicken carcasses, veggies, sardines, eggs, suitable leftovers.

We avoid dry foods that have 'meal' in them, and in the hotter months we avoid lamb / mutton as the dogs get hotspots when they eat it.

Sticking to the pro plan for now, but I got a bag of Canidae to trial inside her toys. Samples of black hawk, eagle pack, Nutro, nutrience and holistic select on the way.

My Borders are all on Nutro, and are thriving on it - we are more than happy with it. It's the best dry food we've used.

The dogs also get meat, chicken carcasses, veggies, sardines, eggs, suitable leftovers.

We avoid dry foods that have 'meal' in them, and in the hotter months we avoid lamb / mutton as the dogs get hotspots when they eat it.

Why would you avoid foods with "meal" in them? It is the meat with water already extracted. Some foods list meat as "chicken" (for example), this is the meat before the water is extracted so it isn't a true weight and once the water is taken out, it would sit lower on the ingredients list. I don't know where this myth about "meal" started but it is something we should look for in dog food ingredients.

If you feed all those trial packs they might get a very upset tummy even if the food is good for them. Nutro is great, I don't use it because the kibble is large and my dogs train for their food so I want a tiny kibble. If I was bowl feeding I'd stick to it.

My collie is on Canidae and I find it's a good food but sometimes he can be a bit gassy on it (especially the fish variety which he was on for his skin). I stick the the puresky variety now which is a bit better. As a youngster it was very expensive to keep condition on him (he's much improved now he's desexed and matured) and I was feeding him at least 6 cups a day plus extras!

I tried black hawk and found the lamb didn't agree with him. I haven't tried the chicken one as yet.

He was on Hills as a puppy and I would still consider going back to it. Digestion wise he actually did the best on it - I was feeding large amounts but it seems whatever food he was on that was the case!