Pittbulls In Pounds?

Horsegal98

Forgive me for my ignorance, but my understanding was that as a restricted breed, if a ranger picks them up wandering they would be immediately euthanised? I saw this one at Blacktown Holding Facility impound 1205362 on the dogs for sale page here http://services.blacktown.nsw.gov.au/petsonline/AnimalsforSale.aspx. Not the first one I've seen either. Two questions, can they really sell them? And how do they decide it is a Pitt bull and not an Am Staff with no papers?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but my understanding was that as a restricted breed, if a ranger picks them up wandering they would be immediately euthanised? I saw this one at Blacktown Holding Facility impound 1205362 on the dogs for sale page here http://services.blacktown.nsw.gov.au/petsonline/AnimalsforSale.aspx. Not the first one I've seen either. Two questions, can they really sell them? And how do they decide it is a Pitt bull and not an Am Staff with no papers?

I will let someone else answer the first question but your second one - APBT vs ASBT? That is the problem - genetically they are the same dog just with a few generations (quite a few) 0f breeding for a different standard. The pitbull is the working line for the show-bred ASBT so many look the same. Same goes for some staffy and other bully breed crosses - if they happen to look like a pitty they are branded and in some cases destroyed for no reason except someone thought they looked like a pitbull.

I think that you have basically answered your own question! They can't determine whether or not it is a pitbull or an unpapered amstaff.

Just because it has a red nose doesn't mean it is a pitbull.

I believe (not 100% sure) that the ranger has the power to declare whether or not the dog is a restricted breed, obviously Blacktown Holding facility has determined the dogs on their website are not pitbulls.

So will they do this and then reclassify it as an am staff(or something else??)

They'll issue a notice of intent to declare a restricted breed, then a breed assessor will come to the pound and assess the dog. I've never seen a dog come back as a pure bred pit bull (and I've seen many, many many dogs go through the process). A few come back as Pit X and go on to be temperament tested. Most come back as cross breeds.

ETA: Your link doesn't work for me. What do they have the dog classified as on the website?

Edited by melzawelza

Ah, okay. Is she then subject to your typical breed legislation-- cannot be sold, must be desexed, wear muzzle in public etc?

Sorry for all the questions-- just trying to get my head around it all. I didn't know that pounds were excempt from the BSL about not selling or rehoming.

Ah, okay. Is she then subject to your typical breed legislation-- cannot be sold, must be desexed, wear muzzle in public etc?

Sorry for all the questions-- just trying to get my head around it all. I didn't know that pounds were excempt from the BSL about not selling or rehoming.

If she passes her breed assessment/temp assessment she is not a restricted breed. Therefore she lives her life as any other dog and the pound is able to rehome her because she isn't a restricted breed.

They aren't exempt from BSL - they just wouldn't be rehoming a restricted breed dog and therefore not breaking the law.

She will most likely come back as an Amstaff X something or if she does come back as a Pit X if she passes a temp test she is not restricted.

But the one in black town is labelled as a pit bull?

Oops sorry, as the link didn't work my quick search came up with the amstaffs, I think? Anyway, melzawelza knows her stuff :thumbsup:

Edit: interesting to note, a couple of those amstaffs look no different to the one pitbull they have listed.

Edited by korbin13

Thanks guys for the time you've taken. Very confusing trying to get ones head around it all. Then there's state differences as well. You are right I don't see a difference to the other dogs listed as am staff though, maybe they do eenie meenie minie mo.

Thanks guys for the time you've taken. Very confusing trying to get ones head around it all. Then there's state differences as well. You are right I don't see a difference to the other dogs listed as am staff though, maybe they do eenie meenie minie mo.

No problems, I know it can be very confusing!!

Basically the thing to remember in NSW is that NO dog is restricted unless it's either microchipped as a purebred pit bull or it has been through the breed assessment/temp test process and failed. Breed assessors and temp testers are not Council employees and in fact Council officers do not know the identity of who has assessed the dog, they only receive a number.

By breed assessing a 'suspicious' dog before release, the Council has upheld their obligation as far as restricted breed legislation and given the dog a chance of being rehomed. Breed/temp assessor decisions are final and cannot be challenged, and the assessors cannot be held liable for anything.

I don't know why they have listed this girl as a pit bull and not a cross or an Amstaff. It could be that the impounding Council has written Pit Bull on the impounding form whereas other Councils brought in the other dogs and have writen Amstaff. That would be my bet. Either way, she'll be breed assessed before rehoming and I would think she will be fine. :)

Edited by melzawelza