Interstate Training

Hi Everyone,

So I have finally booked in a session with K9 Pro (I'm beside myself with excitement) the question I have is about actually getting there!

I've never put Ollie on a plane before (my 2yr BC) and we have to get from Gladstone (Central Queensland) to Kurrajong Heights, NSW.

I've tried to get hold of the freight company associated with Qantas but I've had a heap of trouble actually getting through.

What companies have people used to transport their dogs??

Thanks,

Lauren

What Nekhbet said! If you are flying with Qantas on the same flight as your dog, call them directly to ask about it. It's a lot cheaper to fly the dog with you. A BC will probably be too big but when I fly my Beagle she's small enough to fly as excess baggage with Qantas (so no charge if you have a baggage allowance on your flight).

Looking forward to meeting you and Ollie :)

Edited by huski

Dogtainers were very good when I flew my boy. Crate was organised and ready to go without any hassles.

Edit - Because I was travelling with him like you will be, I went through the airline (Virgin) to transport him, and used Dogtainers for the crate hire. Call Qantas booking services and see if they can put you through to their luggage/special requirements department perhaps? That's how we got there, anyway, and I booked my own ticket on the phone at the same time.

Just make sure with Qantas freight that you don't need a Vet certificate to clear him for travel. When I was looking at airlines, I noticed that Qantas stated that you may need one, but I'm not sure whether it's needed when you travel with the dog. Virgin told me they didn't need one, but airline policies differ, I guess.

Edited by FalconRange

Having just spent a reasonable amount of time researching this, I would say if you are flying then book through the airline but if you are not then book through a company such as Dogtainers, Jetpets, Animal Travel.

Virgin tend to be cheaper than Qantas. Virgin charge for the weight, Qantas for the space. To give you an idea 1 quote I received from an transport company was $275 each way for BC in crate on Virgin or over $500 each way on Qantas as her crate size meant she was the equivalent of 60kg to them. Booking direct with Toll (Virgin's carrier) for an unaccompanied border collie and crate was just under $500 each way. Flying her accompanied would have been about $100 each way. The other thing with Virgin is oyu have to ring the customer contact number to book if you are booking an accompanied pet as well, usually there is a fee for this but if you look up the web page and tell them that you can see on screen it is x they will honour that an not charge the additional fee (at least that is what they have done each time for me, granted it hasn't been in the last year or 2 though so it may have changed.).

Thanks everyone! This is really helpful. I'll give them a call tomorrow- I'm not sure that they fly dogs in/out of Gladstone as we only get tiny planes so I might have to find a bigger airport lol!

Delurking here, hi! :wave:

If you do have to use a company I can recommend Don't Fret Pet. I found their service to be great, I was really stressed about sending my dog from Perth to Brisbane without me and they made me feel heaps better. :)

Otherwise yes if you can get the dog on the same flight as you it is heaps cheaper.