Prog Test After Matings, Would You Bother?

steppenwolfstaffords

It depends for me ...

For me, I don't like to meddle too much and I think that nature tends to be the biggest indicator of when a girl is ready to stand ie the flagging, standing and also the interest of the boy. The fact that she has stood and tied with a male suggests to me that she was at the right time to do so and in that circumstance, prog testing after the fact would be a waste of money.

BUT

If she stood at a time wayyyyy off her normal cycle then I would prog test OR if I saw evidence to point to an abortion/absorption I would ultrasound to see if there were any viable pups and then prog test to see the levels as she may need prog injections to help contain and grow the litter to full term if the level is low.

Thanks for your reply, I was only going to do prog tests as last time she missed but I never got matings but did AIs which were done much later. I've been told her mothers line breeds around the time I got thes matings. So am assuming my ais were too late as we just did them as she was standing for the dog but he wasn't doing the job. Doing a third n final mating tonight n ringing prog vet tomorrow as she's off work till then.

In some cases it is definitely worth follow up prog tests.

A bitch was recently mated to a dog I bred. Her first prog test was low and the vet anticipated she would be ready to mate in about 48 hours. Over several days she was mated 5 (yes 5) times all with her very happy to stand and good ties obtained. she was taken back to the vet for another prog test and it was in fact lower than the original one. She has since had another 2 ties and another prog test for which the results are not yet back. On the results if we had not had the second test after the sucsessful matings we would have missed out.

So for what it is worth i believe follow up prog tests can be worthwhile and should not necessarily be dismissed.