Taken On An Extra Litter

mini girl

As previously wrote had part of another litter to care for and now all 7 pups are with me to be reared. My girls litter is nearly 4 weeks all going great and I am now trying to get them to eat which is going the way it usually does but should be fine in another couple of days. The other litter is nearly 2 weeks and my girl is nothing short of a super mum she is willing to feed these pups but does not lick them or clean them so I am doing this I would like some advice on a few things though never had to do this before.

Is it fine to put my girl with the new pups every four hours and then leave them from about 10.30pm to about 5 or 6 am over night my girl would probably get in with her own pups then but they still need some milk from mum.

How often do you toilet the new pups. After every feed with a warm damp face cloth

How often should I let my girl go to her own pups to feed don't want to run my girl down

Have put collars on the new pups and weighed them all so will keep an eye on their weight gain

The new pups all seem pretty good a couple a bit smaller but now will make sure they get first share

Am looking after my girl giving her calcium and a very good diet and she seems to be coping well

Both litters are sleeping and seem healthy but still a while to go.

Has anyone had a situation like this before.

I would wean the 4 week olds and leave her with the 2 week olds too.

Is she still cleaning up after her own pup? If not - it could be that her instinct to do so has 'turned off' so to speak as her own pups are older. If she is, it could just be a matter of time, the new pups don't completely smell "hers" so she may start doing so in 12-24 hours.

Is there any way to allow her free access to both litters? I know of someone who did this with two BC litters born a week apart. The dam of the second litter was ill and had no milk so the first bitch had two litters in different whelping boxes in the same shed and she worked out how to feed and mother both litters by herself.

Is there any way to allow her free access to both litters? I know of someone who did this with two BC litters born a week apart. The dam of the second litter was ill and had no milk so the first bitch had two litters in different whelping boxes in the same shed and she worked out how to feed and mother both litters by herself.

She does have this but I do have to put her in with the small ones but she will stay and feed as long as I sit with her got up to do this through the night just now hope she will start mothering by herself