Adelaide Pet Friendly Rental

Kobi'sDaisy

Hello everyone, I thought I would try to tap into the collective knowledge of Dolers and put it out there!

We are moving in December and obviously want a pet friendly rental. One vizsla and another dog to come next year and would love to be able to have them inside.

We currently live in Beverley, West of the city and could live anywhere westside from Semaphore to Seacliff Park! Just wondering as well as the usual avenues if anyone out there has a property, knows someone who may be renting out around that time, or is even leaving their own rental around that time.

Any ideas or information would be amazing! It's do-able but obviously more difficult with the dogs inside. Of course the usual references etc. can be provided.

:crossfingers:

Thank YOU!!!

Hello everyone, I thought I would try to tap into the collective knowledge of Dolers and put it out there!

We are moving in December and obviously want a pet friendly rental. One vizsla and another dog to come next year and would love to be able to have them inside.

We currently live in Beverley, West of the city and could live anywhere westside from Semaphore to Seacliff Park! Just wondering as well as the usual avenues if anyone out there has a property, knows someone who may be renting out around that time, or is even leaving their own rental around that time.

Any ideas or information would be amazing! It's do-able but obviously more difficult with the dogs inside. Of course the usual references etc. can be provided.

:crossfingers:

Thank YOU!!!

I got a really good response from all the real estate agents we talked to about renting with my dog once I gave them a "pet CV" which was basically a biography about the dog/dogs and what I do to keep them responsibly. For example I said that Luna is a small dog with a calm quiet nature. Stated that she is desexed. I explained the level of training i.e. puppy school, obedience, showing etc. I told the agent about all the parasite eradication techniques we used. I gave a reference from my vet and previous landlord (or anyone I could think of that could comment that the dog didn't make a nuseience of itself, was in good health with no parasites and had good temperament). I also included pictures. Anything to basically show that your a responsible committed dog owner who isn't (hopefully) going to allow their pets to damage the property. I did offer to pay an additional "pet" bond to cover cost of pest treatment or carpet cleaning, but in the end wasn't asked to.

We did have trouble however finding a place willing to allow more than one pet, and I had the bonus of having a very small dog (which makes it seem like she could do less damage).

Most important is to just be upfront with the estate agent, it's a waste of both of your times if the property isn't pet friendly and never will be. I asked all agents upfront (before viewing) if the owners would consider tenants with a dog (or in your case two), I made sure to make comments about how well behaved dog my dog was as well.

When we have applied for rentals we have applied for ones that don't say specifically no pets, and have never had a problem being accepted - this time around I added a little bio/info since we also foster care for dogs to make it clear what we do etc.. I think as long as you aren't looking at newer houses with fancy carpet etc. pet friendly rentals are more common than we think :)

There are quite a few rentals in Lewiston lately. Animal husbandry or animal friendly zone. Guess that may be too far out for you though although its not really much out of the metro area or far to the city.

Hmm when can I move in :p

I'm western suburbs, we didn't have trouble finding a place.

I viewed heaps, applied for two and was approved for both.

We had pet resume's for dog and cat and a short bio about us.

I had a very low income job and OH had an ok one and we still managed to get a really good place. :)

A pet resume is the way to go, and the more information and proof you can provide the better. If you have pet insurance say that, as that says that if unexpected vet bills come up, you will still be able to pay the rent. I had written references, from landlord, neighbours (they are the ones who lived next door to the dog), vet, dog trainer, etc. All of them included phone numbers. I took my dog with me, I know that they will not bark and deliberately tied them up out the front, where she promptly lay on the ground and slept. Even offering to allow them to meet your well behaved pets first will help. I do not normally tie my dog up outside anywhere, but I do when looking for rental properties, I want to be upfront and honest about who the dog is and what I am asking for.

They want to know that you wil be able to pay the rent and keep paying it, that the dog will not destroy the property and also that the dog will not bark day in and day out and hence hte neighbours will not be complaining. The more of that you can prove to them the more they are going to be happy to let you rent the property.

Most landlords are not that bad, they just don't want aggressive out of control dogs, who will not only destroy the property, but will also annoy neighbours, they also want to know that should something happen to the pets, you will still be able to keep paying the rent.